TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Google punishes sites for DMCA takedowns

By Matthew
Aug 12, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Has someone filed a large number of DMCA "takedown" requests against your site? If so, look out. That's the latest penalty that may cause you to rank lower in Google's search results. It joins other penalties such as "Panda" and…

Read more

2. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TS Enthusiast Posts: 274   +77

.. and I'm dropping Google as my default search engine.. can't stand pandering on that scale.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,399   +1,589

Personally I don't use Google as my search engine, however I don't see any reason why this should persuade my judgment in using Google if I so desired. This will most likely only effect, websites that are found to be sharing copyrighted material.

File sharing sites are most notable for sharing files that have been contaminated with Mal-ware. I prefer using a single known file sharing site as apposed to trusting whatever site Google throws up. I will stick to a single file sharing site and use the sites search facility. This allows one to familiarize themselves with credibility aspects of the up-loader.

4. So long as Google have some way to prevent malicious competitors using this to gain an advantage in the search ratings, then it seems fair enough. It will only mean that inexperienced people searching for illegal stuff will find it a few pages on. It seems more about PR than anything - Google showing it takes piracy seriously.

5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I'm sure people will disagree, but unlike a lot of file sharing sites, You Tube is not inherently designed to share illegal content. Lots of normal, non-techie people use it for sharing videos of themselves with their friends or relatives, or the whole world.

6. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

I can tell you that we have received quite a few DMCA takedown notices from the two big OS companies.
    They just send them out willy nilly without spending enough time to actually research the actual content.
    So far in every case the takedown notices have all been sent incorrectly, but still if we don't comply within 48 hours this whole website would be taken offline...

I don't give much for this kind of behavior and I can only see it being abused more now with Googles rating system to get your competition further down rated, here is a good example of how easy it is to abuse the system:
    http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/8/6/nasa-s-mars-rover-crashed-into-a-dcma-takedown

7. cliffordcooley

Is there anyway you can elaborate further on the topic? I think it would be interesting to know what kinds of material posted on TechSpot would have called for a DMCA takedown.

8. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I read something where one of the NASA or JPL scientists was doing a live stream with commentary of the landing...which was then broadcast by many networks worldwide, which then registered the content of their broadcast, and then sent take downs for his own original content.

So basically they "stole" his stuff, took ownership, and the original broadcast was taken down.

9. So it seems that Google should also punish those who send out dcma that are eventually proved wrong ?

10. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,515   +336

Reciprocity? Oh MY! (great idea imo).

11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,933   +126 Staff Member

Sure, here is one: http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dmca-notice-stupid-microsoft.173146/
    Another was from Apple over some iCrap app hosted on our downloads, I.e. we gave them free advertising and they sent us a DMCA takedown notice as a thank you...

12. cliffordcooley

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.