TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: How DLC helps games, another 840 Evo fix incoming, duplicate SSH keys

By Matthew
Feb 22, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Reading the comments on my current survey about how publishers have violated gamers' trust, it is clear that business practices around downloadable content have left a bad taste in many gamers' mouths...

Read more

2. Hey guys,

Do you think you could avoid reblogging shitty click bait from Kotaku?

Thanks and regards,

A concerned reader.

3. Scshadow

Scshadow TS Guru Posts: 469   +97

Lol, its shitty but it isn't clickbait. Clickbait is when you give something a misleading title solely for the purpose of bringing in views. Well the title is accurate and its your fault if you weren't expecting to read about what it exactly described it would be about. Believe me though, the article deserves a worse word to describe it then shitty. The article goes fairly well into detail about how DLC has hurt the gaming experience and then tries to convince us its overall better for the industry because they don't have to layoff employees developing these games. The lower turnover rate is supposed to be good for games because these "experienced" individuals stay employed and are supposedly kept on for more projects. Its totally believable because these DLC riddled games are just SOOO well tested. They have practically no glitches and crashes EVAR. The Internet connected console spelled the end for a genuinely well developed single player gaming experience and I hate everything the gaming industry is today.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  4. SirChocula

SirChocula TS Booster Posts: 71   +50

That's what happens when the business *****s in suits come in and take over a corporation. All the passion and dedication from those people who genuine love making great games disappear in favor of maximizing profits (this happens in all industries when the business suits come in). Quality suffers as a result and it's evident from most titles out there today. I preferred gaming in the 90's where it wasn't as huge and we still felt the heart and soul of a developer when they made a new game instead of rehashing the same IP's over multiple iterations. I remember back then, a sequel was a fairly rare occurrence.

5. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

The internet for all it's good has it's cons as well. It's given(and keeps on giving) software developers more control over its consumer base. Big-brother 24/7. Instead of having to enter a product key once and then being able to use that software product until your 6 feet under the ground. You get to rent it by the hour now. Say hello to the cloud where you give up even more control and become more dependent upon these companies. They release a patch or update every so often to justify this perpetual money train. If the internet connected console destroyed quality single player games it's doing just as much damage to the Windows operating system as well.

Can't wait to see how Windows 10 goes down. I realize people gotta make money somehow. But being treated like a cow in a herd isn't my idea of the ideal situation for any software product.

I think rapidly released/updated software will inherently always be a recipe for disaster.

6. TheBigFatClown

TheBigFatClown TS Guru Posts: 647   +227

Anybody got any theories why it's taking/taken Samsung so long to fix the same issue on their 840 EVOs? Why isn't this an issue on the 850 series? Is it a fault in the hardware itself?

7. BlueDrake

BlueDrake TS Evangelist Posts: 350   +103

I appreciate the whole keeping people there, but be honest and up front with your reasons. Don't just pad your games with literally, a bunch of items behind a pay wall and not unlockable in game. IE: BF Hardline's Deluxe Edition.

Given how many gamers across the PC alone, who feel seriously burned by all this it's no surprise. I've appreciated DLC in things, when it's actually useful and not insanely expensive. Otherwise I feel like they are trying to, reel everyone in with their constant excuses of bad decisions. Hiding things behind a pay wall, and fragmenting the community. Maps are a huge issue in games, because it then fragments everyone.

Basically meaning that, they need to be more up front on things. If they can't tell customers of said reasons for some excuse or another, then don't get upset when fans start to leave your games. Being more open with the community helps out, because then it's not like "Hey um yeah..about those free things.." last minute explosions of outrage. Yes there's always the vocal minority who whip up a storm, but at least being out there and talking about it can make you look better.

8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,631   +432

Most likely the NAND since all but the 1TB 850 (MGX) uses the MEX controller. The 840 series uses 3-bit/cell MLC NAND Flash, and the 850 uses 3D V-NAND. The problem comes from stale data that isn't being refreshed, and when it is being read, it can dip down to ~250MB/s (the previous problem brought that down to ~50MB/s)!

It appears Samsung has verified there is a problem, and according to pcper.com, "Samsung will release an updated version of the Samsung SSD Magician software in March that will include a performance restoration tool."

9. hahahanoobs

The Kotaku article on DLC might as well of been written by publishers/developers themselves, because it totally reads like it was. It's probably the worst tech/gaming article I've ever read.

For the real scoop and a gamers' perspective on DLC, F2P, Pay Walls and Online Passes, check out Jim Sterling's (Jimquisition), and TotalBiscuits' YouTube videos on the topics. You're welcome, and thank God for me!

If I could erase that Kotaku site from existence I would, because it's absolute garbage.

10. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

Samsung verified the problem back in September last year, but only for the EVO, not the 840 (non-EVO/non-Pro). Five months between firmware updates doesn't auger well for either short term or long term confidence. Might not have been such an issue had the series not garnered so many Best in Show awards.

11. hahahanoobs

I assumed he was asking about the 840 EVO, so I helped him out the best I could.

In October, Samsung released a tool to address a slowdown in 840 EVO Sequential Read speeds reported by a small number of users after not using their drive for an extended period of time. This tool effectively and immediately returned the drive’s performance to normal levels. We understand that some users are experiencing the slowdown again. While we continue to look into the issue, Samsung will release an updated version of the Samsung SSD Magician software in March that will include a performance restoration tool.

http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Samsung-Promises-Another-Fix-840-EVO-Slow-Down-Issue

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  12. hahahanoobs

Pay wall implies you are stuck or at a disadvantage until you pay. This is not the case with Deluxe Edition. Shady? Yes. But not a pay wall.

Hardline Charges 10$ for Battlefield 4 Guns?

13. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,891   +1,258

I wasn't doubting your helpfulness, just Samsung's PR spin :)