TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: How HP lost its way

By Matthew
May 13, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. How Hewlett-Packard lost its way A few months after she took over as the CEO of Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) last September, Meg Whitman held one in a series of get-to-know-you meetings with...

Read the whole story

2. Get rich quick schemes...Never have wolves been so successful at leading sheep into the slaughter house. I only watched the video, but that alone was very reflective of the nature of successful marketing, both criminal and legit. However, it isn't the scammers we should be trying to combat. The mindset that they prey upon is what we should be focused on eliminating.

I may catch some flack for this, but I think the online scamming boom is more telling of the naiveté/ignorance prevalent among consumers than it is about the nefariousness of scammers. I've been to a couple such seminars in the past where people are promised maximal wealth for minimal effort or that "if you do exactly what I've done, you'll enjoy the success that I have." Problem is, no such things exist (sans lotteries, contests, and pure dumb luck). Scammers are able to develop highly successful business models because most people are apparently oblivious to this reality.

No matter what you do, there is never a guarantee of success. Ever. Let alone making mass sums of money right out of the gate (what most of these scams promise). Moreover, just because someone else "put in the hours" or "took the risk" and had it pay off handsomely does not mean you will produce the same results (colleges, universities, and banks are notorious for using this sales pitch). Everybody has different aptitudes, talents, and levels of motivation. Just because one guy made it big doing something (legit or otherwise) doesn't mean you will. This is especially true when you start considering the dynamics of markets and economies.

Scammers effectively preach the opposite of this and individuals, for various reasons, fall for it hook, line, and sinker. What should be done to put an end to the scamming is to put an end to the beliefs that (1) there is such a thing as easy wealth, (2) that everyone can be massively successful, and (3) guarantees exist at all. If any of these things were true, having a paid-off Lexus and a million-dollar investment portfolio would be commonplace. If more people were aware of this scammers would be hard pressed to find individuals who couldn't smell the funk on a sales pitch promising $250,000/yr. referring people to a website or $500/day trading some industry-secret Bollinger band strategy. If you want to cure something treat the problem, not the symptom.

3. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

It's great to see useful new features coming to Windows 8

4. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I love seeing companies push so hard to stop piracy. I think the end result will just be the same as always. A nice big prolapse and lots and lots of butthurt, followed by massive damage control.

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Thanks for the Build The Enterprise link. This is a geek's dream, and though the chance of it becoming real are very small, I'd love to see it happen.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.