Weekend tech reading: How Minority Report has led to bad interfaces

By Matthew
Mar 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I wish I could get away with charging my clients a fee for every time they say "Minority Report" to me. I’m a commercial artist in L.A., and 90% of commercial art is shutting up and giving the client what...

Read more
  2. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

The only thing that stands out to me is Seagate saying they will stop production of 7200 rpm drives. I don't really understand that move. Something I see all the time is people running 100-200gb ssd for their os and games then 1tb or more disk drive for storage. Still don't understand this move.....
  3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,749   +1,421

Interesting read!!

Reading the first few comments from - http://www.theawl.com/2013/02/how-minority-report-trapped-us-in-a-world-of-bad-interfaces, reminded me of Seamus Harper. Data port in his neck, allowed him to directly connect to any mainframe. The ironic thing about this article and the data port of Seamus Harper, was the fact that while directly connected to Andromeda, Harper was using virtual touch screens for internal investigations.

That was specifically mobile hard drives (2.5 inch) that was mentioned.
  4. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 852   +73

that's an important bit of information I missed....
  5. TS-56336

TS-56336 TechSpot Booster Posts: 571   +98

I enjoyed Facebook for a long time and reconnected with many old friends, but the constant changes made it difficult to continue to enjoy it. Zuckerberg and Co. should have known: don't fix it if it ain't broke!
  6. Cota

Cota TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

The reason we have bad interfaces is because most of the people are imbeciles, my collage programming teacher likes Windows 8 because its easier, yet I like the free time when he does his "better" wasted clicks.
  7. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,470   +299

No, I'm still confused by this move, I like faster hard drives, When I bought a new one for a friends ps3 (it was taking ages to load Grand Tursimo) I don't give a toss what its power consumption is or heat generation, hell I don't even care what noise it made as the fan in the ps3 will be louder anyway, I just wanted a no holds barred fast HDD, I ended up going for a WD Black 2.5 which is 7200rpm and it literally halved game load times, if fact in GT5 it was even faster.

Now all Seagate have done here is forced me to go to WD for any of my hard drive needs.
  8. Ranger1st

Ranger1st TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 265   +77

Glad Wu wrote that article, Apple is doing it's best to copy SGI in it's downward spiral into oblivion, and just like SGI, no one really cares because frankly I loathed SGI for making me spend $35k on a computer that was really no faster then my best dual slot 1 ASUS MB with 2 P3 700Mhz, and an Evans&Sutherland 3000.. ( anyone remember those ). I won't ever buy an Apple product but I'm sure allot of people would not be sad to see Apple return to it's 90's level of floundering when it will actually have to start designing new products and charging reasonable prices. Or maybe not..
  9. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,319   +370

Interesting article on the Aliens: Colonial Marines mess. Looks like plenty of places to point the blame finger. And makes you wonder how many other games in development are going through these gyrations and will come out a complete mess.
  10. cliffordcooley

Makes perfect sense to me, they are ceasing production of a weaker sales component. The 5400 RPM give greater durability than 7200 for data storage and for those that need speed the Seagate Momentus (Hybrid) is the way to go if a true SSD is not an option. It's the non-hybrid 7200 RPM drives that they are ceasing production. Hybrid drives will continue to have 7200RPM platters speeds, so you get the best of both worlds while maintaining the option of durability with 5400RPM data storage for external portables.
  11. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

7200RPM mobile drives are generally small. Might as well go SSD. GB/$ is much lower sure but IO/$ is much higher...

My laptop blows away desktop in disk perf. SATA 3 SSD (lappy) vs SATA 2 SSD (desktop). It's great!

12. Burty117

But they imply the new Hybrids will have 5,400 rpm? I also read a fair few review's of these hybrid drives and they're not really that great, or at least, if they only have 8GB of flash memory on them they're not. Still, if I'm copying a 40GB file from one of these hybrids to another hybrid, its pretty slow and if they're slowing them down more then surely two 7,200 rpm drives (WD Black as an example) would be faster for moving data around?
  13. Burty117

Well yeah, an SSD will blow away any HDD in performance, but I can pickup a WD Black for under £60 for 750GB, I don't think they even make a 750GB SSD in a 2.5 inch form factor? but we'll take the next closest, 512GB SSD is £480, so I'm spending eight times more money and getting less storage space? true, it is much faster space, but what happens if I have 500GB of stuff already?

SSD's will also be a waste in game consoles, tried and tested this one with a PS3 slim which came with a 120GB drive I think it was? anyway, it was a 5,400rpm Hitachi drive, we replaced it with a 320GB WD Black (7,200rpm), it halved load times in quite a few games which is quite an achievement to be honest. My friend had a spare SSD at the time and curiosity got the better of us and we stuck in an SSD to try as well, it made the smallest increase over the 7,200rpm drive, wasn't really worth the extra £100+.

SSD's are not the answer to everything (yet) and I feel Seagate are stupid not to contend in this area, then again, I didn't know Seagate made half decent 2.5 inch drives until this article...
  14. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

Don't know where you are going but £480 is MUCH higher than what I can get a 512GB SSD for. We're paying about £330 for enthusiast level drives and we get rorted in Australia on imports.

Over 512GB, yes that is a problem... for price and model availability.
  15. cliffordcooley

Thats not how I interpreted the review. The comparison between the 5400 and the 7200 was independent of hybrids. Dropping 7200RPM will open the door to placing better focus on other things such as hybrids. That suggest the development of hybrids were not a factor in dropping 7200RPM drives.
    Yes when compared to the capabilities of SSD's, a hybrid would not have great reviews. This is in no way a bad comparison to HDD's.

Bottom line is this:
    • If you want an HDD get an HDD.
    • If you want an SSD get an SSD.
    • If you want something in-between get a hybrid.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.