TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Hurried Java update plugs 50 holes

By Matthew
Feb 3, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Oracle has been under increasing pressure in recent months to finally fix the myriad of security flaws that have plagued Java. In an unexpected emergency out-of-band patch released Friday afternoon, Oracle has responded definitively to critics with a massive security...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,141   +1,530

Nice update

3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,517   +318

That massive 2,800 player battle in Eve looked epic! Kinda makes me want to get into it :)

4. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Even I was having some problems with java..the action center told me it stopped working.
    Just got the notification for the update while posting...:)

5. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Thanks to java "fixing" the issue twice, now with u11 and u13, I have had to update over a hundred workstations twice. We can't put it on automatic update because our employees are too lazy (or stupid) to uncheck the box for bloatware wrapped with each update.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  6. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,141   +1,530

I can understand packaging extras in installation packages, but not for automatic updates. Automatic updates should only update elements that are installed.

7. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 984   +31

Interesting article about royalties is interesting, but I feel that it completely misses in its analysis. 0.42 cent per play compared to 7-10 cents per download isn't bad. When buying, if I don't like a song enough I won't buy it. With streaming, if I like it but not enough to buy it, I might still listen to it a few times. If I do like it, I might listen to it dozens of times. So at the current ratio the artist is likely to make more money from streaming.

8. RmandsDC

RmandsDC TS Rookie

Oh, how I hate that Java update!!! Every time it pops up in the notifications, I WANT TO KILL SOMEONE!!! I wish they made it easier to update, like in the background or not so often, I have to press button too much, lol...

9. ypsylon

ypsylon TS Rookie Posts: 48   +6

Why Java is still so popular? It is buggy, cumbersome, unstable, easy to exploit. Send it together with Flash into oblivion of history. Just not forget to mention both in some obscure IT journal as a warning for future generations.

10. T77

T77 TS Enthusiast Posts: 315

Read the first paragraph in this picture, you'll get your answer.;) And have a look at the next one too!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Java is omnipresent.:)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.