Weekend tech reading: MS man tasked with destroying IE6

By Matthew
May 30, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Microsoft man: "My job is to destroy IE6" Internet Explorer 6 continues to be the second most used browser version in the world at the ripe old age of nine, according to Net Applications. IE6's position as the default browser in Windows XP means many companies still cling to the browser. The continued use of old hardware in developing nations and consumer inertia have also contributed to IE6's longevity. PC Pro

Read the whole story
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

There is no question that IE 6 is now one of the most dangerous software programs to have on your computer, because of how it allows (or provides the mechanisms and opportunities, properly tweaked) for the transmission of nearly unlimited evils...

Wise users will switch to IE 7, or IE 8, and the IE 9 soon coming for Windows 7.
  3. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 574   +31

Yup, and those still using Windows XP will use some other browser because Microsoft doesn't want to support their 'legacy' OSes.
  4. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Maniac Posts: 802   +8

From the Foxconn article at Daily Tech:
    Ok...so signing a letter is supposed to stop someone from killing themselves?

"I hate my life and this job!"
    *puts gun up to head*
    "Oh crap, I can't do this. I signed a letter. I might get in trouble."
  5. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

I guess better working conditions have been considered and discarded as a solution.

I would be willing to bet that many a blog post decrying the plight of the world's workers was written on an Apple product.
  6. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123   +7

hey will those nvidia drivers with physx work if there were an ati 4890 card in one slot an an nvidia 8500gt in the other. Not linking them toghether offcourse.
  7. Mikymjr

Mikymjr TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123   +7

it would be neat if there were physix controlled by an nvidia card while originally working with the main ati card
  8. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

I would hate to be told I had the task of killing IE6. Mostly because you aren't convincing the companies that have stuck with it to this day to get rid of it.

Also the terrible attempts all those managers and CEO's would be giving at saying things in a technical sense, I would end up slapping someone.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.