TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2011 Final

By Matthew
Jul 10, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. MSI Master Overclocking Arena 2011 Asia Pacific Final - Ten Page Special Evaporating liquid nitrogen in a humid equatorial country like Indonesia is a spectacular sight. The gargle and spit of liquid…

Read the whole story

2. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,358   +403

Ack! $80 for the ME3 Deluxe Edition?? I'll pass...

3. lawfer

lawfer TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,272   +91

Not to mention, is only trough Origin...

Sometimes I don't know how these companies think, I really don't.

4. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

here in Australia, every game is $100-$130..
    $80 are for the indie games and sales :(

5. chaboi390

chaboi390 TS Rookie Posts: 83

Really? I'm assuming its from retail stores and not online, jeez thats alot of money. Thank god I actually switch to online shopping.

6. Steve

Steve TechSpot Staff Posts: 1,402   +483 Staff Member

Yeah but to be fair everything costs more in Australia ;)

7. i think these BF3 requirements are not true
    recommended cards are gtx 460 or hd 6850
    after watching amazing gameplay of BF3, these requirements seems slightly less
    but then a fact comes in mind that DICE are such a good optimizers that they can make BF3 run at its max. settings on a gtx 460
    its good for me because i dont want to upgrade my good old hd 5870

8. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

I'm actually shocked... Do they not realise Liquidifed N2 displaces oxygen, and therefore is very dangerous in its gas form... Not to mention sodding lethal when at -168'C odd in liquid form.

Having worked with this gas for many years prior to damaging my back I'm simply shocked to see someone pouring the stuff without even wearing gloves, and discharging it around everyone from the tank.

You drop a piece of fruit in it for a few seconds, then remove it and it will shatter if thrown at the floor... And I can tell from experience that it burns nasty!!

9. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,462   +229

Guest, you may have confused the word "Recommended" with "Requirement." Those two graphics cards are recommended, meaning the minimum for BF3 is less. If you re-read the article, I think it will become clearer for you.

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Would be nice with some pics to go with the desert snowfall story :)

Leeky: I hear where you are coming from, the reason it is possible tho is that your skin is 200°C hotter than the liquid nitrogen, so it literally boils off your body (like water on a hot stove plate, unless you put too much on and saturate the plate, or body part that is)
    And also it is quite common to use Nitrogen as an assist gas in cutting processes, we do so at my work place, discharging 20 bars of it onto the steel while cutting, there are of course exhaust systems in place but I think the reason the MSI guys did not drop dead is that they simply used too little N2 :D

11. Darkshadoe

Darkshadoe TS Guru Posts: 566   +105

"Mass Effect 3 Deluxe Edition exclusive to Origin, adds guns, outfits and a robot dog"

Sorry EA but no thanks. If I can wait 2 or 3 years to buy GTA4 and all the other episodes for $10 total off Steam, what makes you think I'm gonna shell out $80 for Mass Effect3. If its not put on Steam, I guess I wont be buying it at all. I think EA is testing the waters because it is rumored that Battlefield 3 will not be offered on Steam as well.

http://kotaku.com/5819888/is-battlefield-3-skipping-steam

"RIAA accounting: How to sell 1 million albums and still owe $500,000"

Typical RIAA tricks. They rob the artists and then complain that the artists aren't making money because of piracy.

12. Leeky

Leeky TS Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +99

@ Per Hansson,

In my experiences even droplets will burn you, although mildly. Pouring it from a flask with bare hands though is very dangerous, its entirely possible to freeze and shatter your hand if you emptied the contents over it.

We regularly used to bathe steels during heat treatment processes to help with grain structure refinement, and to provide other benefits, and the droplets from the mesh parcels we used to submerge in the LN2 used to freeze our thermal gloves solid if left for a couple of seconds when removing them.

You're probably right in regards to them venting it, but we were taught to seriously respect LN2, as its nasty stuff. We also had one person collapse from lack of oxygen in a confined space once as well.

I even suffered serious burns at the hands of it once, due to someone elses stupidity.

Its a very good industrial floor cleaner though! Literally boils everything off of the floor, in a long wave of steam like a tsunami! :haha:

13. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,077   +84 Staff Member

14. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

Yeah, that article just confirms who the real crooks are in the music business.

If you really want to support an artist, you're probably better off in pirating the album, and using PayPal to donate a buck to the band. Chances are they're going to get more money that way than if you bought one of their albums legitimately.

15. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

Thanks for the link Matthew, looks just like Sweden in wintertime :p

Leeky; I know it's dangerous, but still possible if done right...
    It has the sideeffect tho that if done incorrectly the skin on your hand will die...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjsMV1MglA4&NR=1

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.