Weekend tech reading: New discovery in tracing IP addresses

Matthew DeCarlo

IP address can now pin down your location to within a half mile On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog-but they might now have an easy time finding your kennel. In a research paper and technical report presented at the USENIX Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NDSI) conference at the beginning of April, researchers from Northwestern University presented new methods for estimating the exact physical location of an IP address tens or hundreds of times more accurately than previously thought possible. Ars Technica

The promise of rapture for the high-tech elite Ray Kurzweil, the influential technologist, came to the Palace of Fine Arts theater in San Francisco a few days ago to promote his vision of "the Singularity." One attendee admiringly described it as "the cult Rapture of the Nerds." It was a much more fitting prelude to the Easter holidays than Mr. Kurzweil would like to think. The Singularity, as he explains it, is a point in the near future when rapidly escalating technological advances will allow the most evolved humans (I.e., Mr. Kurzweil and his early-adopting followers) to incorporate technology into their bodies. The NY Times

Freedom on the net 2011 - A global assessment of Internet and digital media Over the past decade, and particularly in the last few years, the influence of the internet as a means
to spread information and challenge government-imposed media controls has steadily expanded. This mounting influence directly corresponds to the growth in the number of users around the world: over two billion people now have access to the internet, and the figure has more than doubled in the past five years. Freedom House (PDF)

Ubuntu Linux boosted by 10,000 seat PC win Canonical has taken the wraps off a morale-boosting deal that has seen German insurance giant LVM Versicherungen convert 10,000 PCs to use Ubuntu Linux across the company's operations. The project included the conversion of 3,000 desktop and laptop computers in LVM's Muenster HQ with a further 7,000 in the company's agencies around Germany. ITWorld

Japanese robots await call to action Japanese robots designed for heavy lifting and data collection have been prepared for deployment at irradiated reactor buildings of the Fukushima No.1 nuclear power station, where U.S.-made robots have already taken radiation and temperature readings as well as visual images... The Japan Times

Anonymous denies responsibility for PSN attack, taunts opponents Anti-Sony hacking group Anonymous has once again denied any responsibility for this week's PSN outage in the UK and US - whilst taunting their opponents. In the group's video, released on YouTube under the banner 'Message to PSN users', a disguised voice reads... CVG

A breakthrough on paper that's stronger than steel UTS Scientists have reported remarkable results in developing a composite material based on graphite that is a thin as paper and ten times stronger than steel. UTS

In the know: Should the nation's unemployed be buying new Apple computers? Panelists discuss how owning a top-of-the-line MacBook or an iPad 2 is actually essential to finding a new job. Onion News (satire)

Permalink to story.

Anonymoussurfer said:
I wonder which anti-sony group is hacking the play station network...

To tie it all in together, Anonymous' Russian operatives traced the IP address of little Kaspersky's cell phone, and kidnapped him, and forced him to hack into the PSN using a Linux computer stolen from LVM Versicherungen. Russian police enlisted the aid of Ray Kurzweil, who, along with a Japanese robot made from a material stronger than steel, set him free.

To tie it all in together, Anonymous' Russian operatives traced the IP address of little Kaspersky's cell phone, and kidnapped him, and forced him to hack into the PSN using a Linux computer stolen from LVM Versicherungen. Russian police enlisted the aid of Ray Kurzweil, who, along with a Japanese robot made from a material stronger than steel, set him free.
So does this mean were not going to see Olga Kurylenko naked in the movie version, only perhaps the robot? I sorely hope you'll consider adding dramatic embellishments, such as Olga's having an aversion to cloth of any kind, before this hits the big screen.

@ captaincranky

Already ahead of you on the sans clothes department. She will be in the shower when she gets the call to work on this case, when she's being interrogated by the mastermind, and of course the love scene (possibly the defloweration of the newly rescued hostage).

@BMfan

Its too soon to hit up the family for the movie rights. We have to have some tact in this matter. Lets let the buzz build, and they'll come to us.

Don't blame me, gwail came up with the idea of 'having Tact' not me. :eek:

Besides, News media is feeding us with pointless stories trying to create hype from a pile of s***load (most of the time), and entertainment I am not sure they know the meaning of the word literally.

Don't blame me, gwail came up with the idea of 'having Tact' not me. :eek:

Besides, News media is feeding us with pointless stories trying to create hype from a pile of s***load (most of the time), and entertainment I am not sure they know the meaning of the word literally.
Well that was tactless of you, coming down on me like that....:rolleyes: :wave: :haha:

To be honest, it wasn't my intention to do so in anyway at all. :(

By the way there is a product sold in ME which is called 'Oil of Tact' ........ so that is how I got the initial reply about gwail's remark.

Now is it me or is it the issue with TS, as when I try to insert smilies, the drop list doesn't include confused, evil etc. Or they have been unceremoniously given an axe due to some 'classified' reasons :rolleyes:

There will definitely be a scene in the Unrated Trojan edition featuring Olga Kurylenko and two bottles of Tact.

Archean can arrange the product placement deal.

By the way there is a product sold in ME which is called 'Oil of Tact' ........ so that is how I got the initial reply about gwail's remark.
Oh, they only sell it in oil? Wouldn't most likely be more effective and/or entertaining in suppository....! It would certainly more "assertive", that's for sure.
Now is it me or is it the issue with TS, as when I try to insert smilies, the drop list doesn't include confused, evil etc. Or they have been unceremoniously given an axe due to some 'classified' reasons :rolleyes:
That's just plain paranoid, even if they are out to get you. (insert "just kidding" smiley) >>HERE<<

"googleapis", (when running) prevents editing the title panel after the post has been initially made. It further prevents adding "emoticons" under the same circumstances. In any case, I type them in manually, which is why I only use the few that my tired aging brain can remember. :confused: Or possibly, ":confused" which in what you get if you forget to attend to your colon(s).

[I have to runs now, I don't want someone to trace my IP address. I'm afraid of being apprehended with a s***load of contraband "colons:] Did that put us back on topic....?:rolleyes:

Be good to your colon(s), and it'll be good to you! (That's what I always say).. ;)

Back