TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: New discovery in tracing IP addresses

By Matthew
Apr 24, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. IP address can now pin down your location to within a half mile On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog—but they might now have an easy time finding your kennel. In a research paper and technical report presented at the USENIX Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NDSI) conference at the beginning of April, researchers from Northwestern University presented new methods for estimating the exact physical location of an IP address tens or hundreds of times more accurately than previously thought possible. Ars Technica

Read the whole story

2. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

The important thing is, people still can't find out that I'm a dog

3. AnonymousSurfer

AnonymousSurfer TS Enthusiast Posts: 329   +18

I wonder which anti-sony group is hacking the play station network...

4. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

It's probably Geohot.

5. Lurker101

Lurker101 TS Addict Posts: 637   +124

Oh, and the American Academy of Pediatrics are getting the blame for PSN being down

6. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

To tie it all in together, Anonymous' Russian operatives traced the IP address of little Kaspersky's cell phone, and kidnapped him, and forced him to hack into the PSN using a Linux computer stolen from LVM Versicherungen. Russian police enlisted the aid of Ray Kurzweil, who, along with a Japanese robot made from a material stronger than steel, set him free.

7. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,804   +916

So does this mean were not going to see Olga Kurylenko naked in the movie version, only perhaps the robot? I sorely hope you'll consider adding dramatic embellishments, such as Olga's having an aversion to cloth of any kind, before this hits the big screen.

8. BMfan

BMfan TS Guru Posts: 481   +49

When's it's release date,i want to watch that.

9. gwailo247

@ captaincranky

Already ahead of you on the sans clothes department. She will be in the shower when she gets the call to work on this case, when she's being interrogated by the mastermind, and of course the love scene (possibly the defloweration of the newly rescued hostage).

@BMfan

Its too soon to hit up the family for the movie rights. We have to have some tact in this matter. Lets let the buzz build, and they'll come to us.

10. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,056   +76

Tact = Tact ?? :confused:

11. captaincranky

Tact has no place in the news and entertainment industries. Where have you been? Not to mention I'm the worst person in the world to try and discuss it with.

12. Archean

Don't blame me, gwail came up with the idea of 'having Tact' not me. :eek:

Besides, News media is feeding us with pointless stories trying to create hype from a pile of s***load (most of the time), and entertainment I am not sure they know the meaning of the word literally.

13. captaincranky

Well that was tactless of you, coming down on me like that....:rolleyes: :wave: :haha:

14. Archean

To be honest, it wasn't my intention to do so in anyway at all. :(

By the way there is a product sold in ME which is called 'Oil of Tact' ........ so that is how I got the initial reply about gwail's remark.

Now is it me or is it the issue with TS, as when I try to insert smilies, the drop list doesn't include confused, evil etc. Or they have been unceremoniously given an axe due to some 'classified' reasons :rolleyes:

15. gwailo247

There will definitely be a scene in the Unrated Trojan edition featuring Olga Kurylenko and two bottles of Tact.

Archean can arrange the product placement deal.

16. captaincranky

Oh, they only sell it in oil? Wouldn't most likely be more effective and/or entertaining in suppository....! It would certainly more "assertive", that's for sure.
    That's just plain paranoid, even if they are out to get you. (insert "just kidding" smiley) >>HERE<<

"googleapis", (when running) prevents editing the title panel after the post has been initially made. It further prevents adding "emoticons" under the same circumstances. In any case, I type them in manually, which is why I only use the few that my tired aging brain can remember. :confused: Or possibly, ":confused" which in what you get if you forget to attend to your colon(s).

[I have to runs now, I don't want someone to trace my IP address. I'm afraid of being apprehended with a s***load of contraband "colons:] Did that put us back on topic....?:rolleyes:

Be good to your colon(s), and it'll be good to you! (That's what I always say).. ;)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.