Weekend tech reading: Portugal considers a 'Terabyte Tax'

By Matthew
Apr 15, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Portugal considers 'Terabyte Tax' In what legislators are calling an attempt to "bring old legislation into the 21st century," the Portuguese parliament is considering taxation on storage devices, in an attempt...

Read the whole story
  2. Dear Techspot:

Please, please, please do not turn this site into another social-network wannabe trying to shove Facebook logins down our throats. PLEASE don't sell your soul to Disqus or a similar broken pile of outsourced spyware.

Sincerely,

Most of your users.
  3. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,859   +343

Dear guest,
    Please create a techspot account so you won't have to worry about facebook being shoved down your throat.
  4. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +43

(((WTF)))..........don't turn TechSpot into another social networking site? I think it's time to wake up and smell the coffee there pal, for just the very fact that TechSpot supports an open forum system automatically makes it a social networking site! And the Facebook part of your post, (((WTF))).........."logins"........"outsourced spyware"!?!?!?!? The only thing related to Facebook I see here is the option to click on the "thumbs up like button" down there on the bottom left corner of ones screen. I don't see how having that button down there is TechSpot trying to make this place into a social networking site?

And if you have a problem with Matthew injecting a possible conversation piece, by placing such topics in the weekend Tech reading section, then take it up directly with him, "private messaging" format preferred.

Rant over, carry on! o_O
  5. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

You trippin real hard lol
  6. Nima304

Nima304 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 283   +28

Every Weekend Tech Reading we hear some more bad news that somehow gets us closer to the end of the world.
  7. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,511   +308

I loved this part: "Most of your users" :)

Guest, nothing to be worried about. You can remain anonymous if that fits your bill, though I would prefer if you registered an account and took advantage of the many things our community platform has to offer. But ultimately it's up to you. I believe the Facebook reference was made because we now offer the option to login using your FB account.
  8. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

I do hate this new comments section.

I have to go into forum mode if I want to reply to someone.
  9. Julio Franco

You mean, if you want to quote him?
  10. madboyv1

madboyv1 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 941   +42

If anything excessive quote and requoting adds the potential to make comments on the main site rather long. It probably helps more than hurts if it is not a function immediately available (though wholly available as a user on the forums). But that's my two cents.
  11. Julio Franco

We will add quoting back very soon. Don't hate, just ask kindly. We are working the best we can. I know you like this place and we love it ourselves.

12. Zen

As far as I've seen "quoting" is already here, no need to add it! If one wants to hit what was once quoting, just hit the "Reply" option, next to the "like" option there towards the right, it does the same thing! I could be wrong, but the reply feature for me works the same as the old quote feature from the now dead and gone forums!
  13. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 6,043   +84 Staff Member

Zen, they're talking about the front page news entry which is currently missing the quote functionality.
  14. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

You're right, Julio, my bad. And thanks for the update.

Either way, quoting is needed, and having to spend an extra quarter of a second scrolling past a quote is a necessary evil most people need to deal with so the people actually having a discussion don't have to spend 5 seconds or more looking for which Guest with a controversial opinion someone is replying to.
  15. Zen

Well I sure feel like a smuck now, misunderstood here I guess! :oops:
  16. Timonius

Timonius TechSpot Booster Posts: 573   +31

I really liked the story about the comments. This by the way 'might' be one of my last comments ever.

Does anybody even read all these? :)
  17. Matthew

I read just about all of them heh.
  18. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TechSpot Booster Posts: 808   +51

It bit difficult to understand what's what without a guide/map showing what has been renamed to what. :confused:
    The popup descriptions are helpful though. Somewhat.

19. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,283   +229

I'm with Julio, I got a kick out of a Guest signing their misguided plea with "Most of your users" there. In my experience, most of the real "users" here make an effort to identify and take ownership of their comments by creating an account. It also seems that most of the flighty headline skimmers and random visitors fall under the "Guest" category (which is very appropriately named). Of course, I know this is generalizing and is not always accurate, but sure seems to fit.

So, Guest, if you want to have a say in how our community is shaped, maybe actually join it? Just a thought...
  20. Renrew

Renrew TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 235   +17

And it's Schmuck, Zen. lol
  21. Zen

Great, now I've gone from misunderstanding this darn thing, to a person who can't spell, maybe I should go back to school or something! :rolleyes:
  22. Matthew

Geez, way to kick a guy while he's down haha.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.