Weekend tech reading: PRISM privacy controversy, E3 2013 & Apple WWDC rumors

By Julio Franco
Jun 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Today, a revolution in software technology that allows for the highly automated and instantaneous analysis of enormous volumes of digital information has transformed the N.S.A., turning it into the virtual landlord of the digital assets of Americans and foreigners alike....

Read more
  2. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,697   +873

So much stuff happening tomorrow. E3, WWDC, Android 4.3 release /Nexus refresh, Battlefield 4 and Cod Ghost gameplay, etc. So much stuff happening tomorrow!
  3. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

Is it just coincidence that Apple is doing something tomorrow when E3 is supposed to happen? Or did they feel the need to seem important too?
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,764   +1,423

Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex?
  5. JC713

WWDC is always held in the beginning of June... but yeah, it is kind of odd how everything is happening tomorrow.
  6. m4a4

m4a4 TechSpot Addict Posts: 505   +133

It would imply that they do :p
  7. VitalyT

VitalyT TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,571   +480

Can't wait for the next week, mostly for the Apple's announcement of the new Macbook Air. I have been using mine from 2011, and it was great in every way, running Mac OS + Windows 8 with Start8.
  8. JC713

The new Macbook Air will hopefully have a retina screen and maintain the same price tag. That will further rattle the PC industry. I wonder if Apple will make the current non-retina MBP the old "MacBook" for people who want a MBP, but dont want to pay so much for a Retina version.
  9. VitalyT

Well, this is what I am afraid of, personally. It is great for those who wants to use Mac OS only, but if you need windows as a second OS, retina is a deal breaker, because even in Windows 8 you can't get it to look right. I have Windows 8 Pro as a second OS, and it looks beautiful on my Macbook Air. If they were to just improve the resolution from 1440x900 to 1600x1050, or 1080P, it would be fantastic, but with retina - I will have no use for such machine anymore, I will be better off buying an Ultrabook designed for Windows 8.

In addition, it will do no good to the battery life, all this retina business.
  10. JC713

Well, it will be 7-9 hours with the Haswell upgrade.
  11. VitalyT

That's another thing... If Apple fits in CPU with Iris (HD 5200) into this Retina, then it will be still a good product, because anything less - there is no discrete graphics that can fit into Macbook Air, and the product will be no good.

12. JC713

The MBP Retina 13 inch runs on Intel HD 4000 graphics fine. It struggles yes, but if you arent gaming, it is fine.
  13. VitalyT

I don't believe that Apple will do something like this to the new Macbook Air. Before they had little option, and now they have the new Intel HD graphics, which they will use in full, or risk losing their customers. Just a little more to go, and we shall see... :)
  14. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,392   +830

Didn't you really mean to say, "Would that imply they don't have a superiority complex, already"?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.