TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Privacy concerns continue, Haswell-E detailed

By Matthew
Jun 16, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Facebook and Microsoft for the first time on Friday said they had gotten data requests from the government under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, but they added that the U.S. government did not permit them to provide specific figures...

Read more

2. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,973   +587

Something is wrong with all that Wellsburg Chipset prediction for 2014. I cannot believe it will have no improvement on SATA-3, which is already maxed out...

It is no wonder Apple has stepped away from SATA to PCI Express for SSD-s. And for the rest of us, Windows users, well, buying the new Macbook Pro and installing Windows on it may become a cheaper option than buying a PCI-Express SSD separately.

Although things change quickly. Let's see what prices will be for the new SSD from Mushkin. It looks very interesting, speed-wise, but I do not keep my hopes up on the pricing side there...

3. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

For regular computing tasks, SATA is enough. The only reason anyone will need a PCI-E SSD is for tasks like Photoshop and video editing, which requires fast read/write speeds. I wont be surprised if SATA Express comes with Haswell-E.

4. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Maniac Posts: 1,007   +103

I'm liking this Haswell refresh the more I read about it...

And three cheers for CPU-Z on Android!!! It's quite impressive.

5. VitalyT

You forget the bragging rights... and then Apple fans taking it out on you...

6. JC713

Just because Apple brings the PCIe drive to the public, it doesnt mean it is any more great. I can pop in a PCIe SSD right now and tell Apple fans that my drive has read/write speeds of 300 MB/s more lol.

7. yRaz

yRaz TS Maniac Posts: 1,032   +154

There will be no "next gen games." The amount of buttons on a controller limit what you can do with it. games like Decent Freespace used every button on your keyboard and then some. How many buttons does a controller have? At the same time, consoles limit development on PC so even though it is the more capable system, gaming will not move forward. The last of the next gen games were made for PC between 1997 and 2003.

8. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +329

Is it really bad that every weekend when techspot post these lists of stories up I'm still holding out hope for news on half-life 2 episode 2 :(

9. colinf

colinf TS Rookie Posts: 43   +7

Burty117 and St1ckM4n like this.
  10. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,311   +549

I cant wait to see this bad boy, bet that 8 Core is going to dominate. But im going to guess its going to be the 1000 Dollar range one, not the 500 dollar one. Which is going to hurt my wallet if I decide to try it.

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,591

I think I will place a wager on at least 1300.

12. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

By the way, VitalyT, only the Mac Pro will have PCIe SSD. That's the trashcan, not the notebook. :D

13. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 956   +22

Some very nice reading today. Like to see such successes. Did a lot of work on slackware linux today as part of my "spring cleaning", and this was like my reward for getting it all to work.

14. JC713

15. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,479   +624

Whoa. Damn. Okay, I'm righly wrong, and colour me impressed. :O

16. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,537   +329

17. VitalyT

Incorrect. The entire Macbook line is getting the new PCI Express SSD-s. Even the just released Macbook Air is using it, reaching 800MB throughput. Did even read any review about the new products? It is everywhere about how the new Macbook Air and the follow-up is benefiting from using PCI Express SSD-s instead of the old SATA.

St1ckM4n likes this.
  18. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,311   +549

If they ever make a new half life, it will be the biggest round of applause from gamers around the world. I think we have all been waiting far too long for that game.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.