Weekend tech reading: Should Valve be trusted with its Steam service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Randy Pitchford talks Borderlands, piracy, and why he doesn't trust Valve "It would be much better if Steam was its own business. There's so much conflict of interest there that it's horrid. It's actually really, really dangerous for the rest of the industry to allow Valve to win. I love Valve games, and I do business with the company. But, I'm just saying, Steam isn't the answer. Steam helps us as customers, but it's also a money grab, and Valve is exploiting a lot of people in a way that's not totally fair." Maximum PC

25 Items the iPhone has rendered useless We had no doubt iPhone would be the best smartphone we ever used, but we never could have imagined just how many ways it would take over our lives. From tools we'll never need again to places we won't be going back to, iPhone's versatility never ceases to amaze us--and we're not just talking about pocket fishermen, paperbacks and newspapers. Want to avoid sleeping on the couch after a fight with your better half? There's an app for that. MacLife

Google: Computer memory flakier than expected Wondering why your computer just crashed again? Its memory might be to blame, according to real-world Google research that finds error rates higher than what earlier work showed. With hundreds of thousands of computers in its data centers, Google can collect an abundance of real-world data about how those machines actually work. That's exactly what the company did for a research paper that found error rates are surprisingly high. CNET

Innovation: The psychology of Google Wave Early reviews have been positive, and demand for invitations outstrips supply (Google says ours is still on the way). But even for those who have tried and liked it, Wave's potential is still hard to assess. The problem is that most talk about it is focussed on technology, not people. New Scientist

Seeing the future in 3-D television Flat-panel television screens can't get much flatter and consumers don't want the screens to get much wider, so Japanese television makers are banking on a whole new dimension to buttress their lineups. The New York Times

The chip that changed the world When Robert Noyce invented the integrated circuit, even he could never have imagined how it would transform the lives of everyone on the planet. Times Online

Permalink to story.

I second the RAM failure numbers
I see much more failed RAM nowdays than I did some years ago, actually some years ago it was extremely rare for RAM to die (in my experience)

Well Valve is helping cut down piracy. They have some pretty sweet deals on a regular basis. Are they to be trusted? Better answer this one...Is your pirated copy of *insert favorite game here* to be trusted?

I have zero problem with Valve and what they're doing with Steam. If Mr. Pitchford has a better idea of getting games to gamers at discount prices and immediately via secure downloads that allows me to play that game on any PC as long as I have a Steam account, I'm all ears.

The reason people are getting pissy with Valve is because they can offer their games for a better price so we buy them and they make more money, ok, steam may not be the anti-copyright system that'll fix the world, but who cares? the fact at the end of the day is, as a consumer you can happliy buy a really good game (HL-2 for example) for a tenner and they make the whole profit. It will be stupid if other companys don't follow suite.

Pitchford is an ******* and an *****. Borderlands is even selling on Steam. If he doesn't 'like' Steam then he should take his game elsewhere.

You gotta read the whole article to get the full context of the conversation - nice choice of excerpt to provoke drama, really...

Pitchford likes Steam, he just doesn't like having a competitor in charge of it - you are putting your product, your reputation, your livelihood in the hands of your competition, then trusting them to be completely on the up and up. He'd like to see Steam split off as its own entity, independent of a particular gaming company. I'm sure Stardock and the like would also fall under the same wish list.

It's really kind of funny, first Pitchford says he doesn't trust Valve, then next says they've worked with Valve a lot and he personally trusts them. Sounds like the poor guy is conflicted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back