TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: The computer keyboard's evolution

By Matthew
Nov 4, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. When Bill Buxton worked at Xerox's Palo Alto Research Center in the early 1990s, he examined the classic children's homemade telephones: two cups connected by a taut string. He wondered why that same concept couldn't improve computer keyboards. Think about...

Read more

2. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 512   +84

The "creepy camera man" videos are the best.

3. ramonsterns

ramonsterns TS Enthusiast Posts: 752   +12

"Q&A: Electronic Arts COO fights to lead the new game industry"

Please, do everyone a favor EA and just terminate yourself and sell your assets to people with talent.

4. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

I think this is in the wrong place - topic is "The Computer Keyboard's Evolution":)

5. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 979   +31

Ramonsterns, thanks for making me read the EA article. Peter Moore sounds like a pretty smart guy, and I liked some of the things he said there (for example about used games).

6. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TS Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

I'm not convinced that using two cups & a piece of string would make an adequate substitute for a keyboard & screen?! :confused:

7. Zoltan Head

Zoltan Head TS Enthusiast Posts: 268   +27

Absolutely. There's no mechanism to input characters from a cup, also have you tried finding a HDMI to piece-of-string converter? They just aren't available! :'(

8. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +126 Staff Member

The NASA story was a very good read.
    When I was a child I dreamed of man going to Mars.

Nowdays I am just reminiscent of man going to moon
    Not really expecting any progress to be made in the foreseeable future
    It is very sad, in a way mimicking the state of the computer industry
    Decades ago we could do so much and there where no end of interesting developments.
    Nowdays all I do is look back at the past and feel like progress has stalled.
    I want my NCC-1701 Starship!

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.