Weekend tech reading: Verizon getting iPhone 4 this month?

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Verizon finally lands the iPhone The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon Wireless.
The largest U.S. wireless carrier will make the long-awaited announcement at an event Tuesday in New York City. The phone will make its way to Verizon Wireless stores around the end of January, a person familiar with the matter said. WSJ

U.S. Subpoenas Twitter over WikiLeaks supporters Prosecutors investigating the disclosure of thousands of classified government documents by the anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks have gone to court to demand the Twitter account activity of several people linked to the organization, including its founder, Julian Assange, according to the group and a copy of a subpoena made public late Friday. NYT

AMD releases Radeon HD 6000 series open-source support On the same day that we learn VIA's Linux support is basically dead and after a troubling week for Intel with regards to open-source graphics support for their new Sandy Bridge CPUs, Advanced Micro Devices has come forward and released open-source graphics driver support for their AMD Radeon HD 6000 series. Phoronix

Asus shows off Rampage III Black Edition for CES Shaking Nevada with a new product is tough - doing it with a mainboard is right near impossible. ASUS's latest is the brainchild of their immensely extreme Republic of Gamers (ROG) team - squeezing out the last drop of performance and integrating never-before features onto an Intel® X58 Express Chipset mainboard. VR-Zone

Turbine: Lord of the Rings Online revenues tripled as free-to-play game Turbine's massively-multiplayer Lord of the Rings Online is bringing in three times as much revenue as a free-to-play title than it did as a subscription-based title, the company has revealed. Gamasutra

Star Wars coming to Blu-ray in September You'll have yet another chance to buy Star Wars this September, when the sci-fi classic -- with its two sequels and three prequels -- arrive on Blu-ray high-definition discs. A bundle of all six movies will sell for $139.99... The Washington Post

Permalink to story.

I think the wave of the future in gaming - particularly as far as MMO's go - is what Turbine is doing. Free to play, but if you want the really good stuff, you'll have to cut a check. Pretty much what Zynga is doing with all of it's cheezy Facebook games like Farmville and Yoville. I think I read somewhere recently that Zynga is worth 500 million now from using that "you have to buy the good stuff" gaming model. Sheesh...

I love blu-ray, but will pass on the Star Wars collection. That series has been around for so long and shown so much that it's like a bad commercial that won't go away.

Good news for iPhone users I guess. Looks like a good move for AMD to support open source graphics drivers, that's gonna force Nvidia to get with the program. How is Lord of the Rings Online gameplay-wise now that their revenue model is different? Do 'non-paying' players run around with 'crippled' features? or can they actually do significant stuff in the game. Star Wars on Blu-ray!!!!!!! I'm so there, Yipee!!!!

Timonius said:
How is Lord of the Rings Online gameplay-wise now that their revenue model is different? Do 'non-paying' players run around with 'crippled' features? or can they actually do significant stuff in the game.

Check out this site (specific article) for a pretty good idea about how things work...

http://lotro.mmorsel.com/2010/09/best-lotro-account-type.html

It's a fun game and it is possible (though challenging) to play completely free. Personally, a few small transactions make the game really great a lot cheaper than other standard MMOs.

Guest said:
Looks like att is done with if Verizon gets the iphone.

Until verizon rolls out LTE AT&T is still over 2x as fast. Some people who get great coverage aren't going to downgrade to CDMA

Id be quite happy if now that the iPhone is on Verizon, it could be jailbroken and unlocked to be on sprint. But I have a feeling that it will be more difficult that it was to unlock and go onto T-Mobile...

Id be quite happy if now that the iPhone is on Verizon, it could be jailbroken and unlocked to be on sprint. But I have a feeling that it will be more difficult that it was to unlock and go onto T-Mobile...

Because when activating a CDMA phone they need to get your ESN, unlike sim swapping. This means carriers with certain policies could refuse to allow your iphone into the system.

So now I can view the trash that is the acting and writing of Episodes 1-3 in high definition blu-ray? SWEET! [/sarcasm]

TomSEA said:
I think the wave of the future in gaming.

Small gaming, gamers wont change their pads, mouse and keyboard, big screens and heavy gaming consoles/PC's for an iPhone 4. I agree that the people that plays java/flash games will have extra fun doing small gaming.

Back