TechSpot

Weekend tech reading: Wikipedia may be nearing "completion"

By Matthew
Oct 28, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. For about the last five years, Wikipedia has had trouble getting and keeping new volunteer editors. The foundation behind Wikipedia has made building up the editor base a major goal, and is attacking it from all angles, such as encouraging...

Read more

2. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Wikipedia's 'editing process' stunted it's growth because anyone over 40 with something to contribute saw the BB code and clicked "back".

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

Weekend tech reading: Wikipedia may be nearing "completion"

I can't tell you how many times I've clicked the Weekend tech reading link expecting to go straight to the article mentioned in the title. For some reason it always slips my mind that the Weekend tech reading, will take me to a list of articles not just the one mentioned. I'm not sure if I will ever get used to this and expect to go straight to the article mentioned.

NTAPRO likes this.
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

On the story "The classic games we can't play"
    Someone should send the author a link to http://www.scummvm.org/

5. Kneep

Kneep TS Rookie Posts: 40

In response to
    Researchers develop surveillance system that can watch & predict:

Person of interest! Swipe this idea from J.J. ? :):)

6. veLa

veLa TS Booster Posts: 516   +86

The console is dead? Man my buddies just brought me an Xbox 360 after I got out of the hospital and I've been having a blast shooting monsters in Gears of War 3. Sad to think it's dead.

7. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,684   +60

The console will never die, they are just old and will be replaced likely in the next 2 years with newer ones

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 981   +31

Per Hansson, ScummVM only helps run the games, it doesn't make them available. Many old adventure games aren't available for sale, the article is right about that. If I want to play Grim Fandango, and I've been wanting to since the Double Fine Adventure Kickstarter, I can't. Same thing for Full Throttle. Sure ScummVM supports it, so someone like me who owns the game can play it, but someone who doesn't can't buy it anywhere.

The article lists quite a few games which I agree should be sold, and I'm sure a lot of people are missing. As another example the recent Brenda Brathwaite and Tom Hall Kickstarter made me want to play Wizardry 8, but it's impossible to buy.

Overall, a good article I can only agree with.

9. ET3D

Regarding consoles, I agree, they are going to die. They aren't dead yet, but they're getting there. The mobile versions are already dying. There are enough mobile devices with decent gaming capabilities that the need for a pure mobile gaming device is severely reduced.

This is also what's happening with home consoles. They are moving towards becoming entertainment centres, and as such they are vulnerable from the other directions, from entertainment centres, tablets and phones offering console functionality. ARM CPU's are still a little too weak to provide a hardcore gaming experience, but that will change in a couple of years. Dedicated consoles will still be able to offer a lot more power, but the experience won't be so totally different that most people will want a dedicated console if their phone or tablet can connect to their TV and a controller and offer a varied library of games which then can then take with them elsewhere.

I think what will happen is that the current trend will continue, consoles will add more media centre functionality, more tablet connectivity (or a built in tablet like the Wii U), and will try to keep their place as gaming devices on the strength of exclusives. That would probably carry them for a while. How far I don't know, but I think that a mobile console has a distinct advantage over a stationary one, which is why this won't last forever.

10. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,932   +126 Staff Member

ET3D Both games are available via eBay, but I get where you are coming from.
    It's much easier to get them via Good old Games or Steam

11. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,090   +1,519

I'd rather have a combo box than anything proprietary. I was wondering how the idea of a Steam Box was coming along last night. If I'm gonna buy a game I'd like for the game to be playable on both PC and console for a single price. Otherwise I have no need in a console.

12. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 281   +32

Last time I saw PC gaming is going to die.. then now console? think again

13. ET3D

Both will die. You hear that? That is the sound of inevitability.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.