Weekend tech reading: Windows Blue leaked, detailed

By Matthew
Mar 24, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. An early build of Windows Blue, the next version of Windows, has leaked online on the same day that Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer celebrates his 57th birthday. Build 9364, a partner version that was originally compiled on March 15...

Read more
  2. I don't know ... but to me seems like it was blue for years, ah ... and I like green stuff ^^
  3. JC713

JC713 TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 6,799   +882

Windows Blue seems like trash. Hopefully they bring DX12 with it.
  4. Who is responsible for the foolishness of not getting back the start buttom?, is like MS saying, I'm gonna put my table os down your *** no matter what you want.
  5. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

Realizing the mistake that Win 8 is, already working on the next OS, lol. Too funny but its needed.
    psycros likes this.
  6. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,881   +351

The sad thing is they arent even gonna fix most of the windows 8 complaints. If they did I would gladly buy it.
    psycros, cliffordcooley and Wendig0 like this.
  7. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,330   +380

It's truly mind-boggling how MS JUST DOESN'T GET IT. Give the users a start-button option and they'll sell more copies than could dream of. How can they possibly be happy with companies like Stardock making (probably) millions selling their start-button add-on?
    psycros and Wendig0 like this.
  8. Chazz

Chazz TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 629   +59

If you guys don't like it, then don't buy it. Rehashing the same **** on every MS related article is tired.
    m4a4 and hahahanoobs like this.
  9. TomSEA

Heh...Chazz, I've been using Win 8 for months. Doesn't mean I have to like their asinine idea of using a mobile interface on my desktop.
    psycros likes this.
  10. Chazz

So what are your reasons for buying it? It's not the Metro interface, so why not voice some improvements that you'd like to see in Blue? It's obvious Microsoft is not bringing it back and those complaints are nothing new. What changes can increase your productivity?
  11. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

Ofc there are plenty of improvements:battery life, boot time, memory management, other desktop improvements.
    But while I've been using win 8 for a year now, I still don't use metro (not even one bit). Not one good app, not one thing to make want to switch to it. I avoid it as much as I can until they force me into that fing fullscreen crap.
    It's not hard to make metro apps work in windows like normal software. (there are 3rd party programs that do it) They keep praising this fullscreen crap like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry I don't think so. --> why don't they just admit that they still have a lot of work to do before it's out of beta and stop it with the apple like attitude that just doesn't work for them.
    psycros likes this.

12. TomSEA

There are a number of improvements Windows 8 has over 7. Security, power management, speed, improved Task Manager, better memory management, etc. - which is why I choose to use it.

But again, that doesn't excuse MS from providing an option to have the desktop preference that I (and obviously millions of others) would like to have and instead must rely on 3rd party apps. That's ridiculous and clearly influencing sales and adoption. It's just plain stupidity and stubbornness on MS's part for no other reason other than they can.
    danhodge, Puiu and psycros like this.
  13. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,881   +351

In that case, ill be stuck on windows 7 in 2030. Thats freaking fine, didnt want to stay modern and productive at the same time anyway.
  14. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

Blue seems like a bunch of crap. Hopefully windows 9 will bring the fixes were all were hoping for. If not I feel bad for Microsoft. Most business will be stuck on windows 7 till they get it.
    psycros likes this.
  15. Chazz

As you've used windows 8 for a while now you should know just how little you're actually in the Metro interface. The amount of effort one has to use to avoid it is minimal. I don't have a problem with it(the interface) and even still I barely see it. I see it when I restart and when I use it the same way I used the start button. I hit the windows key and start typing up the program or service that I need. How is this a problem that you haven't gotten over yet?

I don't use their Mail app, their music app or any of those apps. But, that's because I have no need for it. Did I ***** about windows live services or the other crap bundled with 7/XP? No, it's pointless and completely unnecessary. Being able to right click that "hot corner" and open up a admin mode command prompt or disk management is worth it alone for me. Having to hit win+D or the big *** "Desktop" button on your screen isn't a big deal. Not one worth repeating the same thing over and over in every Microsoft thread.
    m4a4 likes this.
  16. misor

misor TechSpot Addict Posts: 990   +147

...but because of metro, "start button" developers are happy and earning some money... :)
  17. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,145   +172

I'm no Win8 evangelist but that makes no sense. They would have been working on Blue before Win8 was released if they are a normal dev company...
    danhodge likes this.
  18. I've never seen a more stubborn customer base than the PC's... -_-
    m4a4 likes this.
  19. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,810   +1,431

You are not listening to the complaints. Are you working for Microsoft, because they are not listening either?
    psycros and Darkshadoe like this.
  20. Same old complaint no start menu, download a free one or dont bother posting this same tired statement
  21. cliffordcooley

Your statement has become just as tiring, so why bother posting your comment?
  22. Chazz

Am I talking to children?
    m4a4 likes this.
  23. cliffordcooley

Well geez, I don't know who you are talking to. You mention something about ignoring complaints (complaints of which have been about productivity) and then you ask for ideas to increase productivity. Personally I think even children are smart enough to see contradiction in those two statements.
  24. Jim$ter

Jim$ter TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 119   +20

I find it just as bizarre when I read this over and over from people because you obviously use your computer differently then me and a lot of other people. I actually use my start button. I pin apps to it and I use the search heavily. The search in the start button menu is fast and especially nice I can drag and drop things to my desktop. Also I don't lose focus of my work by having a full screen metro start menu popping up. Before I started using start8 I saw that disgusting metro screen many times throughout the day and hated it every time. The search is very crappy compared to the start button. It defaults to apps and you have to click a button to see settings or files which you never have to do with he start button. Its not very smart and actually worse. It other words the metro interface serves actually no purpose other than to slow me down so I shouldn't have to "avoid" it at all. I got "rid" of it and the stupid hot corners. Now Windows 8 is nice...I wish I could sell windows 8 with start8 installed. It would save me the tiresome comments to my friends to just install start8 and it will stop being confusing. I've saved many people from taking their computer back and I don't think I should have to.
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  25. Puiu

Puiu TechSpot Addict Posts: 1,035   +91

The fact people avoid it is the problem. (just like I'm doing)
    Don't build something that needs to be avoided because it doesn't work as well as the desktop counterpart.
    The search is broken when you need it for the desktop, many good features that the start menu had where lost and replaced by some "pretty things" that nobody uses. (I want my "recently used /opened" back for software like photoshop, video player, notepad++, etc -- the simple right arrow that the start menu had next to these icons)
    Metro just doesn't work. No windows, no drag and drop, no ..., no.. , I'm tired of writing.

Sure people like us can find some 3rd party software that give us back some of that functionality, but tell how many not so tech-savvy people will be able to find, install and use them?
    cliffordcooley likes this.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.