TechSpot

Weird DVD-ROM drive problem - please help!!

By jsisti
Feb 3, 2006
  1. I can't figure this one out at all...

I have an HP Pavilion with two optical drives - 1 is a DVD writer, the other a reader. Whenever I copy an audio disc on the fly, the burn is fine and everything is normal but for some reason, when I exit the program, the DVD-ROM is now unable to recognize DVD discs. It will read audio discs and audio discs (and the writer can read everything; it's apparently unaffected by whatever this is), but it won't read DVDs. If I reboot, everything is hunky-dory again (unless I copy an audio CD again...)

I initially thought that this was software related (and it still could be) but the problem occurs no matter what burning software I use. I've used Sonic RecordNow, Nero and Roxio. Every time I copy an audio disc, something is turning off the DVD read capabilities of the DVD-ROM drive.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on here? It's a fairly new system and it's far from a crippling problem. It's just annoying the hell out of me. I'd appreciate any enlightenment...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.