weird file sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
just received a new dell desktop last week, set it up and used my existing network cable that was plugged in to my laptop, the trouble is only between my computer and another one, where both running xp proffesional with sp2.
when it comes to sharing files i can view all files on the other computer and they can view mine, when it comes to transferring or opening files i can open and listen to music files and so can the other but if either of us want to watch a movie or transfer from one to another real player will not open and if it does it stutters, when you try and transfer it says it will take 192 mins. thinking it was the cable or router we swapped cables around still a problem even plugged the laptop back in and that doesnt have a problem

p.s it is sometimes very slow opening the other computers files on my network places

hopefully someone out there can help,its doing our head in

Welcome to TechSpot

Rather than trying to watch a movie via network, copy the movie over to your own PC first, or go to the other PC and watch the movie there. The datastream necessary to feed the monitor and sound on another PC is too big for normal networks. Perhaps a Gigabit-connection could do it, but this is only a guess.
You might try and use a crossover-cable between the 2 PCs, that could increase the transfer-speed.

You can watch movies even over 10Mbit connection if the player has good buffering..

How are the computers connected? You should test the network cable and the hub/switch you are using. Either may be bad or giving a bad connection. Try turning off any software firewalls.

Open command prompt and run "ping -t other.computers.ip.address". You shouldn't have any missing packets at all.

thanks for your help ill try all your ideas, thing that bugs me is i never had a problem on my laptop. and copying a movie from one to another used to take a matter of minuites. doing it now takes over an hour

Silly question perhaps, but did you activate FileSharing on the Network Settings of your new Dell PC?
Or could it have a firewall that is obstructing the transfer somehow?
Dells are supplied with a 90-day Trial McAfee suite, which may be making your life miserable!

not a silly question at all.turned off/ uninstalled all types of virus checkers only one running is the firewall on the main router, all cables are fine still works on the laptop when i plug it into the same cable. IS IT DELL!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back