Mar 22, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey so i got this new computer a few weeks ago, the specs are:

1tb memory
    4gigs ram
    nvidia 9800gt
    AMD 5400 dual processors

Now, I play counter-strike 1.6, and every 4-5 mins the game will just completely freeze for at least 2-3 mins, and I have no idea why. I have turned that afinity for hl.exe to 1 processor and it still has the same problem while I have also ran the AMD optimizer off the site that is supposed to help with games. It is not my internet because it happens on my college and also at my home. Any ideas would be extremely appreciated.
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,108   +21

Does this only occur when playing games and have you tried upgrading your drivers?
  3. gnarkill

gnarkill Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 24

yea only during games and i have all drivers updated for everything.
  4. Route44

Check your system temperatures, air flow and if all fans are working.. It could be a heat issue.
  5. gnarkill

how would one go about checking temperatures?
  6. Route44

Everest Home Edition. Though it is no longer supported many people still use it and it is free and safe.

Also, when you updated your video drivers did you unistall the old ones first and then install the new ones or did you write over the old ones?
  7. gnarkill

ran in safe mode, driver sweeper, then installed the new ones.
  8. Spyder_1386

Spyder_1386 Newcomer, in training Posts: 563

Hi gnarkill

I am still running my Dual Core 3800+ on my system. When I had initially purchased it, Counter Strike 1.6 would freeze for a few seconds and then speed up drastically (about 3-4 times game speed), almost as though it was catching up with real-time. You say you're on an AMD 5400 dual and I can't help but wonder if the problem has been accentuated.

I downloaded a setup called AMDCPU ver 9.1.0.429 (is about 4.56 meg). I have no idea where I got it from to be honest but it fixed the problem I had on CS 1.6. I doubt that the same version would help you out if you could find it but maybe you'll be able to find a suitable version for your processor.

Hope this helps

Spyder_1386 :)
  9. gnarkill

Cpu 30 °c (86 °f)
    gpu 37 °c (99 °f)
    wdc wd5000aaks-00a7b2 42 °c (108 °f)
    wdc wd5000aakb-00h8a0 43 °c (109 °f)
  10. gnarkill

I've heard of a fix like that but can't find it, think harddddddddddddddd where you might of at least downloaded it from? Thanks for the reply man :D
  11. gnarkill

12. Spyder_1386

nope that's not it .... you could send me your e-mail address in a private message and i could mail you the setup file that I use.

Spyder_1386 :)
  13. Spyder_1386

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.