Weird GPU crashes

Omnislip

Hi,

Occasionally, my computer just crashes, but only while doing something very low power. This has happened to me around eight times when an intro video for a game starts, or I watch a YouTube video. I'm using 2 460's in SLI and an i5 760. I can stress test them both with no problems - why is it crashing for things that are so simple?

Thanks,
Jonny.

When you say crash, do you mean a freeze or does the PC restart after showing a blue screen?

When you say crash, do you mean a freeze or does the PC restart after showing a blue screen?

There is no BSOD, it just freezes. I have to press the restart button to get it to restart. That's why I thought it was GPU not chipset related.

It wouldn't be the chipset and if the GPU has passed a stress test then it is likely to be your memory. You may find some critical error reports in the Event Viewer under applications.

Take the RAM sticks out and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and then blow out the RAM slots with a can of compressed air. Push the sticks back in and out a few times. Test the system for any improvements and then if it still freezes run the PC on one stick at a time while running videos or anything that uses a lot of memory. If the freeze still occurs then swap the sticks so you test each one individually.

It wouldn't be the chipset and if the GPU has passed a stress test then it is likely to be your memory. You may find some critical error reports in the Event Viewer under applications.

Take the RAM sticks out and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and then blow out the RAM slots with a can of compressed air. Push the sticks back in and out a few times. Test the system for any improvements and then if it still freezes run the PC on one stick at a time while running videos or anything that uses a lot of memory. If the freeze still occurs then swap the sticks so you test each one individually.

Thanks. Sorry I didn't reply sooner but I've been really busy.

My computer has also started to freeze right as windows loads as well. I reinstalled windows and this fixed it at first, but the problem has come back again. I'll defo run some RAM checks though as well.

That sounds even more like a RAM fault, but nothing is definite until proved. See how it goes after cleaning and reseating the sticks and then if no improvement run on just one stick and see what happens, it could take a while but you will probably find that just one of the sticks causes errors.

Back