TechSpot

Weird hard drive issue

By milespower
Jul 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey.

So, my computer was running really slow, like really really slow, even transfering files so I benchmarked my HD and realized my 120GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 has a Sequential Read Speed of 3.0 MB/s when it should be around the 50MB/S mark.

What's wrong?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,623   +320

Drive controller is in PIO mode rather than UDMA. Check/change this in device manager, its in the properties for your drive controller, one of those tabs. I'm not on a Windows machine now or I'd check - but you should be able to figure it out from this.

3. milespower

milespower TS Member Topic Starter Posts: 43

it's on the BIOS though. Will do it next time I power up the PC.

4. milespower

well, tuning the BIOS settings didn't work. Meanwhile, I found that a) my board somehow doubled the controller (2x Primary IDE, 2x Secondary IDE and I don't have any expansion card) b) the windows has "DMA if available" activated but it doesn't get out of PIO.

5. milespower

Figured it out already. Uninstalling and letting Windows re-install the IDE primary channel driver worked. Apparently this is an obscure Windows function that after six consecutive DMA errors it starts "underclocking" from UDMA6 to PIO0

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.