TechSpot

Weird IDE or Mb problem

By windsmile
Jun 13, 2008
  1. My computer was working all fine for 1 year until few days ago, suddenly when i opened it said boot disc failure, insert system..... i changed bios settings so itself and had to disable all IDE from bios in order for the computer to boot.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Check for CD or Floppy in the drives
    Enable IDE again
    Confirm boot order in CMOS
    Reseat IDE cables

Test again

3. windsmile

windsmile TS Rookie Topic Starter

Tested again, still says "disc boot failure..................."

4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

I'd say it's a "disk boot failure" !
    You may need to run a drive diagnostics on it (but you should backup first if you can)

5. Rab2140

Rab2140 TS Rookie Posts: 128

Hey, it is possible there is a disk-boot configuration problem. The problem is that the computer has not been given anything to boot or it does not see anything to boot.

Give this a try: In your bios go to your boot configuration and just look at your boot devices your hard disk might be set to disabled and that is causing the comp not to see it and therefore cannot boot it, if that is the case enable it.

Also, if you have 1 or more hard disks in your comp make sure you have the disk you have your os on set to the primary disk. and then in the boot priority part of your bios place your hard disk as the first bootable device and then your other hard disk and dvd etc.

If all that fails it is either a broken hard drive ( i suggest trying it in another comp to make sure) or a faulty ide or sata controller.

I hope this helps.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.