Weird issue - UE55F8000 not recognizing PC

tomycrack

Hello community,

I find myself in a strange situation:

I've got a PC with Windows 8 -MSI R9 280X graphic card- connected using HDMI to a UE55F8000 Samsung LED TV, as an extension of the main screen, which is an Acer V203H, connected using DVI.

I describe what is connected and where:

Samsung UE55F8000
HDMI 1: Set-top Box Vu+Duo2 (recognized and working fine)
HDMI 2: PC - Connectedt to HDMI port of MSI R9 280X (not working)
HDMI 3: Xbox 360 (working fine)

PC Windows 8 - Windows Update Manual installation - nothing automatic
MSI Radeon R9 280X
Motherboard Z87 G43
Main screen Acer V203H - using DVI
Extended screen Samsung UE55F8000 - using HDMI (not working)

No other wires. No antenna, no RJ45. Just power supply 230V.

This configuration for HDMI 2 has been working already some years, but yesterday suddenly stopped working.
The TV recognizes that something is connected but the screen remains black.

On the computer, on the device manager there is nothing recognized (no unknown devices)

I tried connecting other HDMI cables, but the result is the same: black screen.
I also tried connecting another PC (Laptop ACER) through the same HDMI cables, and with all of them the result was succesful.
I also successful connected from the MSI R9 280X using the same HDMI cables to another LED TV (Toshiba Rezga 32AV555DG).
I tried unplugging the MSI R9 280X, connecting the PC to the UE55F8000 through the HDMI port on the motherboard and using the integrated Intel Graphics. This connection was successful either.

So the only unsuccessful case is the connection between UE55F8000 and R9 280X through HDMI.

After this issue, I also tried updating the firmware of the TV to the latest. But it didn't solve the issue.
I also tried unplugging the UE55F8000 from the power supply many hours to discard that it was a loop ground issue. It didn't help.
I also uninstalled the drivers of the R9 280X, rebooted, installed the newest drivers again (AMD), and connected the HDMI to the UE55F8000 again. The result in this case was also dissapointing, no solution.

So, I don't understand why is issue happening, as I didn't modify any software before.

I've even formatted the C: disk (Win). After a clean reinstall of Windows 8 it's not working anyway.

Could anybody help me?
I don't know what else I should try to solve this.

I'm really desperated...

Power off the pc and then connect it via HDMI to the tv. Set the TV to view the proper HDMI port where the pc is connected.

now power-on the pc and login. You should see the 'new device autodiscovery' install the correct driver.

Power off the pc and then connect it via HDMI to the tv. Set the TV to view the proper HDMI port where the pc is connected.

now power-on the pc and login. You should see the 'new device autodiscovery' install the correct driver.

I've tried it, and it doesn't work... Computer doesn't recognize any new device...

After speaking with Samsung Support they cleaned/reset all protocols of the HDMI ports. After that, is not working yet.
The guy told me that the issue is the communication between graphic card and TV. Signal is there, but screen remains black, as before.
He explained me that the devices don't agree on resolution to show. He said he couldn't do anything else, and he adviced me to install an older driver for the graphic card. How can I do it?

First, what resolution does the TV support and then can you set the PC to match?

I've had the problem where the TV resolution is out of range of the graphics card. There would be a display on the screen, as per usual, up to the point where Windows booted up. The screen after that stayed black. I used a monitor to select a compatible resolution and then connected the TV to tweak the resolution. That may not be an option nowadays because my latest TV has no DVI socket. Progress seems to be more HDMI sockets at the expense of other connectors. Going back to try a previous driver sounds a good idea. There are some posts about the firmware update for your TV resulting in a big time lag before the Smart Hub kicks in.

I've had the problem where the TV resolution is out of range of the graphics card. There would be a display on the screen, as per usual, up to the point where Windows booted up. The screen after that stayed black. I used a monitor to select a compatible resolution and then connected the TV to tweak the resolution. That may not be an option nowadays because my latest TV has no DVI socket. Progress seems to be more HDMI sockets at the expense of other connectors. Going back to try a previous driver sounds a good idea. There are some posts about the firmware update for your TV resulting in a big time lag before the Smart Hub kicks in.

I was thinking about going back to the formar audio, but indeed I also did so when I reinstalled Windows 8. And even this way didn't show anything, neither when booting up nor once Windows has started.
I will try booting with Linux to find out if it's a Windows compatibility issue. I'll keep you informed.

I don't know whether your last sentence is a statement or a question? Are you saying that the TV fails to boot with Ubuntu too? Have you tried the obvious - connecting to a different HDMI port on the TV?

It's not clear how you have things set up:
"I've got a PC with Windows 8 -MSI R9 280X graphic card- connected using HDMI to a UE55F8000 Samsung LED TV, as an extension of the main screen, which is an Acer V203H, connected using DVI."
Either
Desktop connects to Samsung TV by HDMI plus a parallel DVI connection between the Computer and the Acer monitor,
or
Desktop connects to Acer monitor via DVI and then Samsung TV daisy chained to the Acer monitor with an HDMI lead.

I was thinking the problem was the TV connected to the graphics card with just an HDMI lead and failing to pick up the video. Re-reading your first post suggests that the set up is complex. It's an expensive graphics card so are you setting up a dual screen system for gaming?

It's not clear how you have things set up:
"I've got a PC with Windows 8 -MSI R9 280X graphic card- connected using HDMI to a UE55F8000 Samsung LED TV, as an extension of the main screen, which is an Acer V203H, connected using DVI."
Either
Desktop connects to Samsung TV by HDMI plus a parallel DVI connection between the Computer and the Acer monitor,
or
Desktop connects to Acer monitor via DVI and then Samsung TV daisy chained to the Acer monitor with an HDMI lead.

I was thinking the problem was the TV connected to the graphics card with just an HDMI lead and failing to pick up the video. Re-reading your first post suggests that the set up is complex. It's an expensive graphics card so are you setting up a dual screen system for gaming?

Sorry if I didn't express myself correctly.
Main screen: Acer V203H connected through DVI to the graphic card
Extended screen: Samsung TV UE55F8000 connected through HDMI to the graphic card either, so in parallel.

Firstly I'd roll back to the earlier successful video driver. Next, connect just the monitor using DVI to see if video displays. Then disconnect the monitor and use the HDMI lead to connect the TV on it's own and see if that works. Hopefully, the results will help move things along.

Firstly I'd roll back to the earlier successful video driver. Next, connect just the monitor using DVI to see if video displays. Then disconnect the monitor and use the HDMI lead to connect the TV on it's own and see if that works. Hopefully, the results will help move things along.

I tried it out, rolling back to the former driver it came once windows was installed. Connected the monitor using DVI: OK, recognized. Then, next step, disconnect DVI and plug in HDMI for the TV: Nothing shown, not recognized.

It's getting even worse. Now even the other TV isn't recognized as screen and nothing shows there. It looks like it's a problem of the graphic card.

If this was a resolution problem the DVI connection wouldn't work either. HDMI leads come in a variety of types but you managed to connect successfully with yours to a different TV so that must be OK. How about downloading some older drivers from the MSI site for your graphics card and trying them out?

Other than that you could make use of your free W10 upgrade. Maybe, after the upgrade the latest drivers written for W10 will get your HDMI working. There are folks who want to stick with W7 forevermore but not many of us have affection for W8 or W8.1.

Our posts crossed. If the DVI doesn't work anymore either then the graphics card's likely to have died on you. Check to see if it's still under warranty.

DVI is working fine. HDMI is dead. Now it's even worse, because both TVs aren't recognized.
I updated to Windows 10 (clean installation after formatting C: -OS drive- )

I'd take out the graphics card and look it over very carefully. When mine have died or played up constantly some of the cylinder shaped capacitors on the mini motherboard have lost their flat top or "blown". You can buy DVI adapters to use the HDMI connector on TVs without PC connectors but it now looks like you have a faulty graphics card. Double check with a different HDMI lead though.

Back