weird LCD problem!! HP ZT3000

By KamaL
Oct 12, 2007
  1. Hi all...

I have an HP Pavillion ZT3000 series which i'm really satisfied with it, i've been using it for almost 3 years without any problem.

lately, whenever i open the lcd screen, a red/pink tint hows for a couple of seconds, and then everything goes back to normal..

It really didn't annoy me that much, but yesterday the problem become worse - now whenever i turn on the LCD, a strange crescendo hiss is heard, and after 30-40 seconds, the LCD simply turns off.. Well, actually i can still see something with high contrast, but it seems as if the lamp is turned off.
    If i close the lid and open it again, another cycle of hissing and then turning off begins.

from some searches on google i understand it is mos probably an inverter problem. am i right?? could it be only th lamp??

The strange thing is the hissing sound, maybe it can give someone a clue for finding the culprit of all this.

Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

That is the sound of the tube driver beginning to fail for the backlighting. You will need a professional to fix that problem.
  3. KamaL

KamaL TS Rookie Topic Starter

You mean the inverter or the backlight itself?
  4. Rik

Yup, inverter, driver, different name for the same thing really.
  5. KamaL

I actually read that changing the inverter isn't a big deal in the end as changing the backlight itself.... don't u think so?
  6. Rik

It all depends on the availability of replacement parts really.
  7. KamaL

Ebay is full of inverters for laptops, so i hope i can fix this by myself

Guess i'll try it and ten search for an alternative LCD
  8. Rik

I wish you the best of luck.:)

If you should need any more help, post in this thread and i will see it.

I have done a lot of pc repair work so my knowledge may be of use to you.
    As an example, the psu i am using at this moment is one of my repairs, and it obviously works fine and has done so for the last 2 years.:)
  9. rasta99

rasta99 TS Rookie

google the service manual for your laptop. there are lots of site who have them. you'll have a clear idea of the work required to change the part.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.