Weird problem

Mitko

Hello, i need help with a problem that my friend is having.

One day, he turned on his computer and Windows XP wouldn't load, right before the loading screen this shows up:
"NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" or something like that.

So i've decided to just re-install it.
During installation i got atlast 6 times BSOD containing stop errors, the only one i can remember is it contained "ntfs.sys"

So i've googled around and i found some solution where i had to go to the Recovery thingy from the CD and copy the ntsf.sys file from the installation CD into window's system32 folder.
After that, i went into BIOS and enabled some option that "tolerates memory" or something like that. Ever since then the ntsf error stopped showing and so installation went successful.

So i set up the resolution, moved around some icons, downloaded some tools like Winamp, Skype, Realtek HD audio driver, SiS 330 Mirage integrated (VGA for his pc). Installed all of that and ofcourse the drivers required restart, i restarted and after the loading screen it showed:
"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM"

After that I tried recovering using the recovery tool twice and it still showed that error.
I decided to re-format and re-install and went outside for over 10 minutes, when i came back there was no screen, tried re-starting the computer and the screen but still couldn't see anything. Also there was no beep.

So could all of these problems be caused by RAM damage or something?

I also forgot to mention that he had 257MB RAM, now he has 194MB :O <- this leads me to thinking its cause of the RAM because i remember seeing threads where people are asking why there is no screen and the replies were cause ram is dead or something like that.

His computer is pretty old and it ain't that good, could it/the monitor have overheated?

Are there any bios beeps when the computer is starting up. Is the graphics on board? Sounding to me like the motherboard maybe on the way out.

Are there any bios beeps when the computer is starting up. Is the graphics on board? Sounding to me like the motherboard maybe on the way out.
The problem happened 3 times i think. At first there was no screen, we restarted the computer and it came back and it beeped and all that, second we repeated what we did and it got fixed again, third.. never came back and there was no beep.

I think you may need to start swapping bits if you have any spares. Try the memory first. The graphics card and then if you still have a problem the hard drive. If you still have no joy I think it will point to the motherboard. If it's that old is all this worth it?

Back