Welcome... logging off

pne andy

i had this posted in the windows os section
hi guys, i have been given a laptop off a mate lo look at and the problem was that after entering his password the welcome screen came up but immidiately logged off.
i am able to log on in safe mode and gone in to control panel and removed the password but no joy. i have created a new profile but is just the same.
i have performed virus,spyware and malware scans that have all found no infections. i would have tried a system restore but no restore points are found.
with the laptop being from pc world he was given no disks so i tried the onboard startup repair but no faults are found.
followed the guide on the microcoft website
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929825
the value data in the regestry was already C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe, but i re typed it anyway but still nothing
sorry if this is has been solved elsware but i have searched all day and found nothing i havent tried
however i managed to get hold or a windows 7 disk so i formatted the harddrive and performed a clean install. the install went fine and i thought i had it sorted, however after reseting the laptop it failed to load first time and cane up with a screen saying check for problems or start windows normally. i tried start normally and it worked.
i then shut down the laptop and turned on again and the same screen came up but this time start normally didnt work so i let windows check for startup problems but none where found and still refuses to load sometimes i get to the screen asking for the password then it restarts but mostly i dont even get that far so now i am thinking maybe a hardware problem but i dont know
any help would be greatly appriciated, the laptop is an acer 5536

After a full clean install of the OS a hardware fault does seem the most likely reason.

I would start with a test on your hard drive and if that comes up clean then perform the test on the memory.

Identify the make of your hard drive and then use one of the links below to get the manufacturer's diagnostics for ISO (CD) not the one for Windows.

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In Windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the file you have downloaded from the links below. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos.

Excelstore
Hitachi/IBM
Samsung
Seagate, Maxtor & Quantum
Western Digital

Toshiba/Fujitsu
If you have a Toshiba/Fujitsu hard drive I would suggest the use of the diagnostics from the Seagate link as this will work on all makes of drive and on any OS.

Preliminary checks
You should first check the model of RAM stick that you have on the manufacturers site for the recommended voltage setting and then make sure it is set correctly in the PC's Bios. An incorrect voltage setting may be the reason for your problems so test the PC's performance again if the voltage was incorrect.

Errors can also be caused by dirty contacts, mismatched sticks or using them in the wrong slots. Check all sticks are the same make and specification, check the motherboard manual for the correct slots to use. Remove all the sticks and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slots with a can of compressed air.

Download Memtest86+ from here

When the download is complete right click the file and select Extract Here and burn the image to a CD.

In windows 7 right click the extracted file, select Open With, then select Windows Disc Image Burning Tool then follow the prompts. For all other versions of windows (if you do not have an ISO burner) download this free software. ImgBurn
Install the program and start the application. Select the top left hand option to burn image file to disk and then on the next window click on the small yellow folder icon and browse to the ISO file you have downloaded. Then click on the two grey discs with the arrow in between (bottom left) and leave it to complete the operation.

Testing
Boot the PC into the Bios setup and set the CD/DVD drive to 1st in the boot sequence. Insert the disk in the drive then reboot and the disc will load into dos. Leave the test to run through at least 8 cycles or until it is showing some errors. If errors show in the test, remove all but one of your RAM sticks and repeat the test on each stick until you find the one that is faulty. This is a long slow test and should ideally be run overnight.

The memtest will not be 100% accurate but should easily detect any major faults.

IMPORTANT
Always disconnect your PC from the mains supply when removing Ram sticks and earth your hands to discharge any static electricity to avoid damage to sensitive components. If performing this test on a laptop PC you should also remove the battery before removing or replacing the RAM sticks.

Back