Western Digital debuts 2TB, 7200RPM Caviar HDDs

By Jos
Sep 1, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Those looking to squeeze the most performance possible out of their desktop PCs no matter the cost can plop a few hundred dollars on a solid state drive and enjoy the sweet ride -- check out our recent roundup here. However, if having lots of storage space without compromising much on speed or price is more your thing, you might be interested in Western Digital's latest addition to the Caviar line.

Read the whole story
  2. raybay

raybay TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 10,716   +6

If you can get it to take Windows, let us know.
  3. tengeta

tengeta TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 632

I wouldn't be interested in giving 2TB to a Windows system partition, but thats just me.
  4. BrownPaper

BrownPaper Newcomer, in training Posts: 467

I tend to use these drives as media drives for video editing and archiving my media files. Does anyone actually use these TB drives for their OS?
  5. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

About time WD gets Black for drives larger than 1TB!!!
  6. windmill007

windmill007 Newcomer, in training Posts: 311

Oh I use two 640 blacks as my main OS and two 1TB blacks as my storage drives. I have a problem with the 1TB making a seek noise when idle alot more when I used them as my main OS. I think WD wants you to buy there higher prices versions if you useing raid. But my two 640 blacks in raid are quiet and super fast. I recommend them to everyone I know.
  7. tonylukac

tonylukac TechSpot Maniac Posts: 742   +14

To answer tangeta, I use a 1.5TB Seagate drive for my windows vista home premium os. I had trouble with the drive becoming unresponsive for 30 seconds after boot and making clicking and whining noise during that time, but a firmware fix corrected that. Seagate explicitly told me NOT to upgrade the firmware and I had to hunt for it thru 1000 results on their site, go figure.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.