TechSpot

Western Digital External Disk not recognized?

By Darmin
Apr 3, 2008
  1. I have a laptop evo n1020v and on the side I have an external WD disk (XMS2500TE - model).

The problem is that when I connect it to the laptop it recognizes new hardware but it is unable to install it. Furthe rmore when I go into device manager - the device manager keeps flashing as if i is constantly rescaning for new hardware. As soon as I unplug it everything is back to the norm. When I try a USB thumb drive it works fine.

Any help is appreciated..

Thanks

2. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,093   +86 Staff Member

Perhaps the enclosure is defective?

3. Darmin

Darmin TS Rookie Topic Starter

I connected it to my other laptop nc6010 and it works fine...

its just this laptop and my other custom desktop won't recognize it...

4. chingu77

chingu77 TS Rookie

i had problem with my WD external drive where i dropped it once from my desk and after that my laptop would no longer read the drive. i looked up a lot of forums for help and found that a lot of people had the same problem with this model....its a 500 gig my book essential. i ended up sending it back and having to replace it and they wouldn't pay for shipping.

hopefully u can fix it yourself but if you can't you may have to return it.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.