TechSpot

Western Digital matches Seagate with 3TB external HDD

By Jos
Oct 5, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital today announced an update to its lineup external hard drives: the My Passport Essential, My Passport Essential SE and My Book Essential. The smallest drive in the lot, the My Passport Essential, offers 500GB of storage in a portable 2.5-inch form factor, while the My Passport Essential SE ups the ante with 750GB and 1TB flavors. Meanwhile, on the desktop front, Western Digital is matching Seagate’s latest GoFlex Desk offering with a similarly p...

Read the whole story

2. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Maniac Posts: 913   +22

How do they get 3 terabyte to work with windows xp? Is this a valid question?

3. KG363

KG363 TS Enthusiast Posts: 524   +9

is this 1 3.5 inch 3TB drive or is it something else?

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

The main problem most people talk about is Windows XP will not *boot* from a partition greater than 2TB. As long as partition is GPT (GUID), it shouldn't be a problem.

The limit for NTFS partitions is much higher for both Windows and NTFS itself. Even the NTFS "16TB" limitation is a bit of a myth... Larger capacities have been achieved and put to use.

5. Regenweald

Regenweald TS Rookie Posts: 143

They don't, I believe. Vista or Seven needed. On another note, I recently bought a western digital 1.5 terabyte on amazon for 89$, and it works with XP. I could buy one more for a whopping 3TiB for less than half the price and full XP compatibility. Food for thought.

6. Regenweald

Regenweald TS Rookie Posts: 143

Scratch that 'less than half the price comment' I've had a few beers, swore I saw $350 :)

7. There are some limitations in drive sizes supported by bios. This is why we are seeing 3TB drives in external cases because there is a additional controller required. If you take the 3TB out & place it on the sata controller in you PC, it will see 2.2TB.. I think manufacturers are updating their bios'...
    ie, MSI X58 Pro-E
    http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=bios&maincat_no=1&prod_no=1804
    - Add XMP LowVoltage function.
    - Fix 2.2TB HDD show wrong size in POST2 screen.

PC bios is legacy. I think the next gen will support such drives properly..

Rob

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.