Western Digital ships 640GB Scorpio Blue notebook drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Western Digital has begun shipping its 640GB Scorpio Blue notebook hard drive that utilizes 320GB-per-platter technology. Housing two platters, the Scorpio Blue is designed to be compatible with all mainstream notebook systems with its 2.5" by 9.5mm profile.

The Western Digital Scorpio Blue consumes 30% less power than previous generation drive in the line, boasting "best-in-class power and performance." It features several technologies, including WhisperDrive, ShockGuard, and IntelliSeek. As you can probably deduce by their names, WhisperDrive reduces noise, ShockGuard boosts shock tolerance, and IntelliSeek calculates optimum seek speeds.

According to Western Digital's press release, the 640GB Scorpio Blue is shipping now via select distributors and resellers. Its current asking price is $149, and it ships with a three-year limited warranty.

Permalink to story.

SATA interface only. But it looks like I could also get a 1TB 2.5 " SATA 3.0 drive. Wow! The largest PATA looks to be 320 GB. Darn, that's what my laptop takes.

I hope they last longer than the 12 Western Digital 500 GB laptop drives we purchased. At least WD replaced them quickly.

PATA drives will never exceed 320... which are rare. The 250 GB PATAs are enough for nearly every possible user... there is simply no market for the larger ones... because they don't make EIDE laptops anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back