TechSpot

Western Digital ships world's first 5mm laptop HDD and hybrid variant

By Jos
Apr 23, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital today began shipping the world's first 5mm thick hard drives, which the company says will enable new levels of portability in Ultrabooks without the price premium that SSDs entail. The devices will be marketed under two different series:...

Read more

2. Vilandra

Vilandra TS Member Posts: 27

So what makes it a "hybrid"? I was expecting from the title for this to be like a fusion drive, but it doesn't seem that way from the article?

3. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,928   +569

says it here:

It is the use of built-in flash storage that turns it into it a hybrid, or a mutant, if you prefer ;)

4. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Shock test it :3

5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,928   +569

I bet with the right combination of velocity, flooring and attitude no SSD will stand to a willing enthusiast ;)

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

The "Fusion" drive from Apple isnt really a hybrid. It is just a software mod in OSX that sends images and large files to the HDD instead of the low-capacity SSD.

This hybrid is different since it uses a cache to store important things to be accessed quickly. I really like WDs push for HDDs in a time of SSDs. They really need to get into SSDs if they want to survive.

7. Zeromus

Zeromus TS Enthusiast Posts: 231   +7

I honestly though their "FusionDrive" was just a hybrid drive that's been branded. Is there something like that for windows?

8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,026   +913

Well, there are hybrid drives like the this Seagate one. But the Fusion drive is partitioned in a way to send large data to an HDD, and smaller, more accessed data to the SSD. A hybrid like the one I mentioned from Seagate, just has a cache to speed up strenuous tasks, mainly to make your PC boot faster.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.