Western Digital showcases hybrid SSHD technology during CES

By Shawn Knight
Jan 10, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital is showcasing a new hybrid solid state drive technology at CES known as SSHD. Tthe solution combines the speed of a solid state drive with the capacity of a traditional spinning hard drive much like we have see...

Read more
  2. Vrmithrax

Vrmithrax TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,283   +229

Maybe it's just me... But I'd love to see a hybrid drive that has the SSD and HDD accessible separately, rather than this glorified caching method. Give me a nice little 2.5 drive that will give me an SSD for my OS (C drive) and HDD for my storage (D drive), all in a neat package that fits into any laptop. That's my dream.
    captainawesome and hammer2085 like this.
  3. soldier1969

soldier1969 TechSpot Booster Posts: 244   +43

What I want to see is 512Gb and 1TB SSD drives come way down in price. Working with a 256Gb now for OS and games and its filling up fast.
  4. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

You see the M500 news post? 1TB for around $600...
  5. Use an hdd to fill space until the ssd prices come down then. no need to be so difficult. I'm sure you've spent enough money already on the pc
  6. "WD believes that solid state storage will continue to remain much more expensive than spinning media for the foreseeable future."

LOL...and also, LOL! :D
    I don't think they've noticed just how much in price the SSD have come down. Not talking about the "foreseeable future", I see in the immediate future that the SSD prices will be cut by another 10-15%.
  7. MonsterZero

MonsterZero Newcomer, in training Posts: 52   +9

HDD's please just die already. Never going back to a physically moving drive again, they are just delaying the inevitable.
  8. Sphynx

Sphynx Newcomer, in training Posts: 35

Still too much, in my opinion.

I say let's keep the HDD on life support for an indefinite period of time until the SSD can match or come close to HDD in price and capacity.
  9. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,131   +171

Yes but come down a considerable amount in the last 12 months...

SSD speed and latency orders of magnitude better... price and capacity aren't the only factors. If you are getting 2TB hard drives for $100, a lot of people are going to be happy paying considerably more for the benefits of SSDs over HDDs.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.