TechSpot

Western Digital to swap certain HDD assets with Toshiba, moves closer to Hitachi GST merger

By Jos
Feb 29, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Western Digital announced today that it has reached an agreement with Toshiba Corporation to divest certain hard drive manufacturing assets in order to meet the requirements of regulatory agencies reviewing…

Read the whole story

2. The hard drive business has proved itself to be completely corrupt; I am severely disappointed.

3. RzmmDX

RzmmDX TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +29

Guess I will also have to cross Toshiba HDD off my list.

4. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TS Guru Posts: 802   +87

Hitachi drives have always been more reliable than the others. I've got some 10 year old drives that still chunk away at a steady pace. I hate to see consolidation, but that's capitalism.

5. It looks like you have to cross of toshiba and hitachi as well. Only fujitsu is left. Segate and western digital drives suck. They get corrupted easy and we are talking about hd not political ways though both are true. The only drives from wd i tolerate are raptors.

6. Its not the drives that get corrupted easily .. its the business mgrs. As for thats capitalism.. not in my book. there should be at least 3 and preferably more HD mfrs. Altho this does seem to indicate that these mfrs see very little future for spinny disks, the real competition being low cost SSD TLC maybe even octobit MLC (P/e cycles 1000)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.