Wet electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkid

i was wondering, if i device is turned off and i wash it with water, will it work after i get it dry....im thinking about washing my keyboard..

No! Don't do that! You'll ruin the keyboard. Get yourself a can of compressed air and with short bursts clean out the dust.

If you want to be meticulous you could try to clean with a fistful of Q-Tips.

lol my mom dropped water on my keyboard the other day, it was ON, i disconnected it, put it near the fan for like 10 mins and connected it again and it worked absolutely fine.

lol my mom dropped water on my keyboard the other day, it was ON, i disconnected it, put it near the fan for like 10 mins and connected it again and it worked absolutely fine.

Well then go ahead and get back to us with the results.

haha im not going to be the first noob to *uck up his keyboard lol....i need someone to say he has done it and succeeded :p

The way I clean my keyboard and most electronics is take them apart and use compressed air, small hand-held vacuum cleaner and Q-tips. I will wash off plastic pieces that I take apart but never anything else. Most of my stuff is just full of dust and dirt since I live in the desert. Hope that helps :) .

I'd take it apart and then clean it, helps to ensures there is no water trapped anywhere and that is dry.

For the record, you can quite happily wash a motherboard, just remove the CMOS battery first and make sure it dries for a long while before you use it again.

hmm is this true for all electronics? if they are not powered on/have no power source connected, can they be washed?

Well...technically yeah water will do nothing as long as you make sure it doesn't leave residue and is completely problem.
My friend has a waterproof keyboard, he washes it heh.

lol ok ill try washing it and post back here

don't do that Punk!
you might get lucky, but among other things, water can get into tight spots and take weeks or months to dry. and water,soap, and other contaminants cause separation of the materials used to manufacture it. it can also cause conductive and non conductive layers to separate.

hmm, so are all the keys of hte keyboard removable? and removing keys doesnt damage the keyboard right?

They should be. One time I removed my enter key, and it took me like 30 minutes + removing all surrounding keys :/. I think i'm just stupid.
I'd rather not throw it in the washer, a light rinse with water at most is what I would do. Plus if you're like me and you eat/live in front of your computer, its the keys that are sticky :).

They should be. One time I removed my enter key, and it took me like 30 minutes + removing all surrounding keys :/. I think i'm just stupid.
I'd rather not throw it in the washer, a light rinse with water at most is what I would do. Plus if you're like me and you eat/live in front of your computer, its the keys that are sticky :).

Thats a bit harsh :D. sometimes the larger keys with more than one contact point require you to remove the surrounding keys because you have to start at a different angle when you push them back in.

hmm, so are all the keys of hte keyboard removable? and removing keys doesnt damage the keyboard right?

sometimes it used to work fine for me (washing and drying keyboards) but, as others said, it's best if you could dismantle the entire keyboard and dry them completely. cause i used to wash keyboard about twice a year until i upgraded to a wireless keyboard.

most of the keyboards, i suppose, have their keycaps secured into the plastic chassis. when you open up your keyboard, none of them will comes off, unless you 'unhook' them. take caution when dealing with transparent 'plastic' and the keyboard components (with LEDs).

example: http://www.sunstormlabs.net/blog/2008/05/23/how-to-dismantle-a-logitech-g15-keyboard/

well my keyboard is a really old dell....i love typing on it ...i think removing all the keys would be alot of hassle so ill try removing the screws from the back of the keyboard and see if it looks washable

indeed, removing the keycaps are optional. usually, after remvoing the screws, I just separate the keyboard electronic part. then i wash (and brush) the keyboard chassis which include all the keycaps. it gets really dusty overtime.

goodluck with your keyboard... :)

yeah thats what i was think....if electronics part can be seperated then it should be safe. ill do it next weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back