TechSpot

What a mess, Windows can't run any application anymore

By altair9
May 7, 2008
  1. Hello, I was running the "preliminary procedure...."...
    I run SmitFraudFix in SAFE MODE, then in NORMAL MODE I run its option number 5: about remove the DNS Hijacks.

Then I run Vundofix and COMMODO Firewall PRO stopped it. I told it to run it as an "isolated application", but nothing.

I run COMMODO Firewall PRO settings and created "a new trusted application", browsing towards the Vundofix file... and there the Chaos!

The mess!

Any application I launch.... I hear the error sound and a message that tell me (translated from italian...) about: "it isn't a Win32 valid application".

I can't run NOTHING!

I shutdown the COMMODO Firewall.
    Tried to re-launch: SAME ERROR!

I powered off the computer.
    Power on: boot: it doesn't run the COMMODO Firewall at startup and also other apps.... I click on any icon: SAME ERROR!

Windows become totally useless!

2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

What about when you boot back into safe mode? Because in safe mode only the basics should be running.

3. altair9

altair9 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 23

ok

I'm going to try.... thank you!

4. altair9

It works.

I run in SAFE MODE prompt mode. ctrl-alt-canc and "run"... I run Comodo and it has been launched.

I don't know that options-labyrinth... but I found a button like this (about):

Look for installation problems... I clicked on it and it told me that it detected some problems, asking me to solve them.

I said "YES!!!!" and in a bit of seconds it told me that the problems have been solved and that I had to reboot.

I made it... and now I'm going to see what's happened....

PS: before making this, I unchecked the "load firewall with windows startup" (about) to let windows run WITHOUT comodo (I hope...).

5. altair9

Nothing... it doesn't work!

No apps can be launched.

I can only run the programs in safe mode.

But my problem is that I don't know comodo Firewall pro (i installed it yesterday!).

So all its settings are a labyrinth for me.... any advices?

Thank you very much.

6. altair9

Solved!!!

In Safe Mode I uninstalled Comodo Firewall Pro: and now it works!

I re-installed it.

Thank you very much, expecially for your safe mode advice Blind Dragon.

7. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TS Evangelist Posts: 3,908

No problem good job basically solving this on your own, how is the preliminary removal instructions coming along

8. altair9

sorry...wrong topic.... I'll move the text...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.