What are some good disk drive diagnosis utilities? Bad sectors etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

I have been looking for some good hard disk verification utilities that work in DOS, PC-DOS, DR-DOS.. etc..

I was wondering what you guys use. Scandisk and chkdsk are too slow and I know there are programs out there that work considerably faster and better.

I used to use spinrite, but I'm looking for something that can handle NTFS volumes now. Something that can "fix" disk problems would be nice. ;)

I know you are probably tired of hearing this but have you tried something like PowerMax from Maxtor. It can diagnose and correct bad sectors. I've used it to check NTFS volumes without problems. I haven't found anything so far that does a better job, though I'm sure there is something out there. After all, this utility is free and I'm sure there is probably something out there better that probably has a nice large price tag attached.

Like SB said, I generally use the utility coming from the manufacturer.

PowerMAX from Maxtor, the Data Lifeguard tools from WD or Feature Tool for IBM.

They always advise you to backup your data before using those tools so I guess your data isn't 100% safe when you use them.:dead:

Originally posted by Didou
They always advise you to backup your data before using those tools so I guess your data isn't 100% safe when you use them.:dead:

Well, if you make repairs, you WILL lose data when it writes out the bad secors and "fixes" the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back