What are some major differences between Star Wars Old Republic and WoW?

treetops

What are some major differences between star wars old republic and wow? Someone fill me in I want to buy this game but I am burnt out on the wow genre of gaming.

Space craft and space battles

Urm..

Dunno, been contemplating picking it up too. But as you say, if it's more of the same MMORPG style grinding, not that interested.

Space craft and space battles

Urm..

Dunno, been contemplating picking it up too. But as you say, if it's more of the same MMORPG style grinding, not that interested.

If you haven't picked it up yet you should if you like questing with tons of cutscenes with lots of different outcomes depending on how you respond to the quest giver etc.. I never thought I would be excited about another mmo again and after playing for the past 2 days I am so in love with SWTOR!! Great graphics if you run everything on high!

draft_lens17901890module149887919photo_1304221265portal-2-space-core.JPG

He knows what's up!

But in all seriousness from reviews I've read it seems to be your traditional MMO with a huge emphasis on single player and quests. It's not just running around looking for exclamation marks to grind out and level for end-game, the core of TOR is the part that most MMO's and players in general glare over which looks exciting. It kind of sounds like a traditional single player RPG from Bioware that you share with everyone else together. Unfortunately I played WoW for so long that I don't know if I can bring myself to paying a monthly subscription again.

draft_lens17901890module149887919photo_1304221265portal-2-space-core.JPG

He knows what's up!

But in all seriousness from reviews I've read it seems to be your traditional MMO with a huge emphasis on single player and quests. It's not just running around looking for exclamation marks to grind out and level for end-game, the core of TOR is the part that most MMO's and players in general glare over which looks exciting. It kind of sounds like a traditional single player RPG from Bioware that you share with everyone else together. Unfortunately I played WoW for so long that I don't know if I can bring myself to paying a monthly subscription again.

I was so close to buying this from Origin the other day but found it more expensive than going to a local store and buying a physical copy. So have held off a little longer :)

Ok, grabbed this and played a little last night(well, quite a lot :D ). After having played years of WoW it's not that different.One of the things emphasised is the voice acting and storyline, not having to read quest logs all the time. I have to say playing Sith Inquisitor I find myself tiring of the evil voicing (posh English accent for some reason) and even though it is nice to have the NPCs actually tell you about the quests the reasoning and plot behind it so far hasn't been that riveting in comparison to WoW etc.

Read a few reviews and customer ones on Amazon and some say that quests aren't quite as dull as the renowned "Run here, kill 10, collect 20" etc. as other MMOs have as their staple. I have to disagree. Seems business as usual for most side quests, although you seem to get these quests upon entering areas and not from NPCs. And no hand in, just XP displaed in the scrolling combat text when completed. It's fun, found myself playing until 2am this morning, but not sure how long that fun will last. At Level 7 or 8 now, Should be interesting to see how the class specialization changes things at 10.

Good to know that it has those traditional grind quests. Are the quest stories pretty engaging? Are they comparable to KOTOR and other Bioware RPG's or is it like a normal MMO with you never feeling like you made a difference quest wise? Granted WoW in the latter expansions did improve upon this aspect of MMO's which was nice.

Nice cutscenes,

Other than that, not much.

Sorry to be so negative, but was hoping for a big things with this game after becoming bored of wow, Sadly after playing for a week or so im bored. Way to similar to wow, even down to the keybindings, Few nice tweaks but nothing gamechanging.

Good to know that it has those traditional grind quests. Are the quest stories pretty engaging? Are they comparable to KOTOR and other Bioware RPG's or is it like a normal MMO with you never feeling like you made a difference quest wise? Granted WoW in the latter expansions did improve upon this aspect of MMO's which was nice.

I only played the first KOTOR and that was a long time ago, so can't remember the details of it too clearly but does feel like it being it's star wars universe. Even though its MMO and keybind bashing to attack it does feel a bit more like a one player RPG. The whole story so far for my character has been coming from a slave background and completing challenges to become an apprentice. It's not bad, but hoping the story picks up more later. Have a feeling the Smuggler/Han Solo class is going to have the most enjoyable story. I'll probably play at least one class to 50, then if my experience was good play some of the others.

Back