TechSpot

What can I do to increase FPS

1. Well I got computer, it's a few years old and I use it to play games mainly. I play mainly First Person Shooters, and have about 10-15 Fps, 20 if I'm lucky. Anyways i was wondering what are some basic things I can do to increase Fps to mabe 30-50, anywhere in there would be nice, I have maybe $200 max budget, but am looking for things that will really help (increase RAM, Video card, etc.) I really know next to nothing about computers so any help is appreciated, thanks. If you need my specs just ask.
  2. Ranger12

Ranger12 TechSpot Guru Posts: 632   +116

Yes, we would need your specifications. That would help us give you the best answer possible.
  3. LowfatCriminal

LowfatCriminal Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Ok what do you need specifically?
  4. Ranger12

If you could tell us what...
    Motherboard,
    Videocard,
    Processor,
    RAM,
    Power Supply,
    you have then we could go from there. Also, if you have any specific games in mind within the FPS category that would be helpful as well.
  5. LowfatCriminal

Ram-3 GB
    Processor-AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology Tl-60
    Video Card-ATI Radeon X 1200
    Don't know where to find motherboard and not sure what you mean by power supply
  6. Ranger12

Ah I see, I wasn't aware it was a laptop. Unfortunately there's not much you can practically do to upgrade a laptop. You can put more RAM in it but it wouldn't really increase the number of fps your getting. The only real thing you can do is decrease the resolution and/or graphics settings.
  7. Darth Shiv

Darth Shiv TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,148   +172

Yes sadly the main components for gaming performance, the graphics chipset and the CPU aren't upgradable. 3GB of ram would handle most games optimally anyway as most are 32-bit and can only use 2GB.
  8. LowfatCriminal

So pretty much all I can do is increase RAM?
  9. Ranger12

Yeah, pretty much but it won't give you any more fps for your fps's

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.