What Cord Do I Need?

By randysz
Aug 17, 2004
  1. I have a GeForce FX 5200 with S-Video capabilities... i need to know what the cord is called that i need to buy to hook up what is similar to a ps2 slot into the red white and yellow slots in my tv... is there such a cord?
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

    Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,345   +11

    Yes, but it depends on what kind of connector you have there. Some manufacturers (Gainward, from what I can tell) use 7-pin S-VHS connector, others use 4-pin. Just look for a suitable S-VHS (Super VHS) to RCA adapter.

    Sound comes from your soundcard, typically you'll need a 3.5mm stereo to 2 x RCA cable.

  3. TS | Thomas

    TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,319

    Ok, well if you're using Red, White, Yellow then they're for Stereo sound (Red & White) & the Yellow is for Composite video output.

    So if you want to replicate this then you'll need a S-Video to Composite converter (A lot of Graphics cards come with that) & obviously a Composite video cable as well to connect to your TV. If your TV has an S-Video input you'd get better image using that, so use an S-Video cable if possible (No converter needed in that case).

    As regards the Audio you'd want to connect a 3.5mm mini-jack to dual RCA outputs into the same colored inputs on the TV (Red/White). They'd be stuck into the Soundcards Front channel output (So set the Soundcard to 2 Speakers).
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Create an account or login to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.