What could be the probable reasons for reboots during XP installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! What could be the probable reasons for system reboots during XP installation.

Disease: System restarts/reboots while installing Win XP from bootable CD.

It reboots while copying setup files. Sometimes while copying driver.cab at 11%,

sometimes at 56% sometimes God knows the reboot Gate!.. but I could never complete the

installation. Instead it flashed with most hated Blue Screen Warning junkie stuffs.

Pre-History: XP was infected with some virus, Trojan I dont know.

Action I did: I did lot of things in vain.
  • I tried the same HDD as slave on other PC works fine.
  • I tried installing, with different RAM 512 running fine on other PC, dint resolve here.
  • In the end I zeroed the hard disk with Seatools though it passed basic test
  • successfully.(Downloaded from: Seagate Official site

[
  • I did RAM test with Mem86 tool .All Passed without error. (Downloaded from:

memtest86.com

System Details:
MainBoard: U8668D
Chipset: P4M266A-8235
RAM: Kingston 256 DDR
BIOS Ver: 1.05
BIOS Date: 09/22/2005
Monitor: Samtron 56V

PC Health Status:
CPU Temp: 54C
CPU Fan Speed: 2860
System Fan Speed: 0
CPU Vcore: 1.55V
+3.3V: 3.02V
+5V: 4.86V
+12V 11.39V

In PCI listing there is lot each having a device no except Display Controller. Details are:
Display Controller
Bus No: 1
Device No: 0
Func No: 0
Vendor: 5333
Device: 8D04
Class: 0300

I expect Few Good Men to respond to resolve.

most probable are bad ram or bad psu. less likely is bad motherboard. I'm sure there can be other reasons, but I can't think of any of them right now.

I did my RAM Test with Mem86 tool. It pass without error.
I also zeroed the HDD and still getting same error. Any more probable guess to resolve the issue.

@almcneil i m not sure about PSU
@richermartyn but I did everything to make RAM is working fine. For an example I tried on another PC its working smooth. Then I tested it memory testing tool it passed without error.

suggest me more guys.. I m stuck...

most probable are bad ram or bad psu. less likely is bad motherboard. I'm sure there can be other reasons, but I can't think of any of them right now.

Could be the cable between the drive and the mobo (dvd or hd). Its a hardware issue, so between my post 4 days ago and the new suggestion (the least likely of any I've suggested) about the cable that pretty much covers it.

I suppose it could be a bad cd, but that is really unlikely, esp if its a factory disk.

Reasonable guess is watch the CD drive light while it boots. If it glows, goes off, glows, goes off repeatedly, it is probably reading fine. If the read light sticks ON for a significant period of time, the CD reader or the CD itself is probably bad.

Other possibilities not mentioned by SNGX - heat transmission paste on the CPU failed. CPU quickly overheating. Motherboard fault, possibly blowing capacitors if 3 years old or more, or on certain significantly awful m/b's. Bios infection - have never been proven to me, but rumours abound. You might get rid by taking the battery out for ten minutes, then reset the date/time again, and boot channel/drives if necessary.

Just noticed ALL your volts are low. Suspect PSU. Is the fan running and churning out air pretty well? Something tells me it cannot sustain power very long.

Instead it flashed with most hated Blue Screen Warning junkie stuffs.

Pre-History: XP was infected with some virus, Trojan I dont know.

You glossed right over this! Suggest you consider system may have been damaged to some extent. Also, that BSOD ""junky stuff" is an error message- suggest you read it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back