TechSpot

What determines screen resolution?

By ttgavenged
Feb 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hey guys! So what determines the quality, aka screen res. of your display/monitor?

The monitor, graphics card, drivers for G card, Win OS, seriously what? I would love to learn!

If it helps I have a: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/e...4302-215012-215012-3770740-5034316.html?dnr=1

And will be getting a new G card equivalent to: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...c=OTC-Froogle-_-Video Cards-_-EVGA-_-14130610

Oh, and also, in video games (PC) like black ops, if I got this to be at 2560x1600, i played BO, or any other game would the options for resoplution be updated in the game? Right now it's only max 1920x1080, would it magically allow me to select 2560x1600 now?

2. LinkedKube

LinkedKube TechSpot Project Baby Posts: 4,266   +42

If you had a monitor with that high of a resolution sure you could play Black Ops at that resolution. You would also need a card powerful enough.

3. Codisha

Codisha TS Member Posts: 86

the pixel density and overall size of the display as well as your graphics cards abilities determind the overall resolution
    [​IMG]

the monitor you linked to has a maximum resolution of 1920x1080
    it won't go higher then that regardless of the graphics card you use

if you want a higher resolution you either need to get a larger display or find one with a lower pixel pitch. the later will become more expensive, earlier.

4. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

2560x1600 monitors cost well over $1000, and you need some pretty serious hardware to run games at that resolution.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.