TechSpot

What do I need to transfer old video

By Modena
May 3, 2010
  1. Hey I was wondering how and what I would need to transfer old video tapes into my computer. The tapes are from this older camera that records MP120 8 tapes, I still have a working camera that can play them through simple audio/video connection on my TV. But the tapes are deteriorating losing sounds/color and some even all the video completely, so I want to back them up on my computer and put them on DVD. I imagine what I need is some adapter and software I just have no idea of what or where I can find it, so any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,647   +323

Does your camera that can play them to a TV also have a Firewire output? If so, you can use Firewire to transfer them to the computer (might have to buy a firewire card (and possibly cable) if your computer doesn't have one) and record to the hard drive with Windows Movie Maker.

If it doesn't have firewire out, you need a video in on your computer "Media Center" computers have those, otherwise you'll need a tuner card that has RCA in. I've never done it through a TV tuner card. I imagine its slightly more difficult because you have to run the audio to your sound card as well, and I don't know if WMM handles video from a tuner card (probably, but like I said I've never tried).

3. Modena

Modena TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 182

No this camera is ancient it doesn't have firewire, ok so I need to get a tv tuner card thanks for the response. I was thinking that was what I needed but I thought there might be something else I could use.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.