What do the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U all have in common? AMD silicon

By David Tom
Jun 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. After consumers were told the final details about the Xbox One, Wii U, and PS4, many game enthusiasts have weighed their options and are ready to make a purchasing decision. So who’s the big winner? Simply put, it's AMD....

Read more
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  2. jraymp

jraymp Newcomer, in training

I'm excited about the PROMISES of this KAVERI... Can't wait to RELEASE this new architecture...
  3. Yeah xbox will be a good tool for some spy projects :) it has to be online all the time, it has facial recognition, record sound and movement and it can even read your heartbeat and guess in what mood are you in. So your neighbourly friend living next to you (who might like tweaking tech gadgets) might enjoy your morning sex as much as you do if you forgot to turn it off. Great console, even Germans call it twisted :)
    hammer2085 and SantistaUSA like this.
  4. Maximum Payne

Maximum Payne Newcomer, in training

Yea me too, I really really hope it wouldn't be disappointing as Bulldozer
  5. Anything good for AMD is bad for intel and great for custumers.
    veLa and mosu like this.
  6. RH00D

RH00D TechSpot Booster Posts: 387   +97

It doesn't require online all the time. Only a phone home once every 24 hours. You're free to have it offline 24 hours and 59 minutes of the day. The Kinect also doesn't monitor everything all the time, it just looks for one voice command and you can disable that.
    spectrenad likes this.
  7. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 944   +94

23h 59m*

The check every 24 hours only applies to games.
    Kinect can be turned off.
    spectrenad likes this.
  8. BMfan

BMfan TechSpot Guru Posts: 471   +47

That's better,always wanted to switch something on just for the fun of watching the orange light flash then turn it off again.
  9. SexyMan

SexyMan Newcomer, in training Posts: 16

The ultimate tool to spy you is in your living room and nothing can stop a dedicated hacker and stalker or maybe the government to do their homework. Once your system is compromised, as the other guy said, the XBOX 1 kinect features such as face and voice recognition, ability to see in the dark, heart beat and emotion reading are some great tool for a spy.

The only effective way to be sure no one is watching you is if your XBOX1 is unplugged but you don't want to do that when you are watching Netflix, Bluray or etc.

I think I am just being paranoid but it is also not bad to think about the ugly possibilities.

Will the XBOX1 still works if you unplug the kinect?
    SantistaUSA likes this.
  10. AMD Nvidia, as long as it does a good job I aint worried.

However, I got another email from another website offering me the choice of the xbone or the ps4.

Price wise for the consoles the xbox is way too expensive. Paying almost $200 extra in the UK is mental. The PS4 coming out the starting gate at the ps3 starting price is a tad more reasonable.

I would not buy one for 6 months to a year anyway. Let the price drop maybe, and so too some of the games. By that time though looking at the £70 rrp price on games some shops are showing of course you can pay £50 - 60 because they will do a discount online...

Really. Are American websites showing $110 dollars RRP ? Are you joshing? Seriously with starting prices of games that insane I am definitely out. DLC packs will be more expensive, season passes.

Websites put an RRP of £40 to £50 in the UK and we all know they are not worth that ever. Some people will say yes they are, but no really they are not. Not when you consider what other countries pay. And not when they are always discounted on release. Its a BS scam to pretend you are saving something when you are clearly paying full price on release. And now they raise the RRP so you look like you save more... do me a favor.

And they want to stop second hand sales and tell us we dont deserve to make back our hard earned money when we have had enough of something. Just how freaking greedy are these A holes.
  11. EEatGDL

EEatGDL TechSpot Booster Posts: 260   +45

@Guest above: sorry, what other e-mail? Offering (trying to selling you something?) you to choose between both consoles? Sorry, I don't understand what's this all about, only the last two paragraphs.

12. veLa

veLa TechSpot Booster Posts: 490   +75

I've supported AMD since I bought my Athlon Thunderbird.
  13. 1999 - "Government is spying on us through telephones and internet!"
    THIS GUY IS CRAZY!
    2013 - "Government is spying on us through telephones and internet!"
    THIS GUY READS THE NEWS!

You are not crazy/paranoid. This crap is actually going on. The fact that people aren't outraged by this kind of government activity is what is crazy. How far can government extend its reach into your daily life before you finally say, "no more". The government can turn on the GPS and microphone in your phone to listen to your conversation even if the phone is off. If you think the XBOX1 doesn't have the same types of backdoors into the devices, your fooling yourself.

4 Words...Vote with your WALLETS!
  14. Xero07

Xero07 Newcomer, in training Posts: 93

No it can't. That's the plot of movie Eagle Eye.

15. Yes they can. Even some local police departments in major cities have this capability. This is fact, not opinion.

BTW Eagle Eye was a terrible movie to say the least. And the plot was self aware AI, not government control.
  16. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TechSpot Booster Posts: 944   +94

ROFLMAO. Thanks, I needed that.
  17. grvalderrama

grvalderrama TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 196

No, they can't, when the phone's off, it stops transmiting its location, making it impossible to establish a connetion to the service provider.
  18. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,773   +1,429

Since you say the movie was terrible, I'm going to assume you wasn't paying attention to the concept behind creating the "self aware AI".
  19. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 807   +91

20. fimbles

fimbles TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 1,232   +119

Dont forget the "roving bug"
  21. Adhmuz

Adhmuz TechSpot Paladin Posts: 893   +98

The only positive aspect I can gather is more games with AMD support out of the gate and less of this stupid "the way its meant to be played" so we'll cripple the game if its not running on nVidia hardware BS. Also funny that people are worried about being spied on by their xbox, simple, buy a PS4 and stop complaining. Heck I won't put one in my house, neither should any one else. Almost forgot, development time should be reduced too because of the more or less unified architecture between the consoles, and cross console games will probably not use kinect anyway because the PS4 doesn't ship with a camera, better that way IMO so why not just unplug the stupid camera and be happy.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.