What do you do AFK?

Drumma

Hi all,
I was just wondering what everyone does when ' Away From Keyboard' ?
My main interest is in music, as a semi-professional percussionist. I have played drums for over 30 years now and still learning tbh.
Are there any musicians amongst TS ?
I'm always happy to talk all things music related from playing to just listening.

Yes, music here too, I play the guitar, but mostly not Away From Keyboard but in front of it, as a change and rest from it.

Same when I listen to music, I use the computer playback facilities.

Still, I suppose there is worse.

U3zxz.jpg

Music, exercise, and sleep. I play the piano & guitar and enjoy running and weight lifting when I'm out of the house.

Work on the insides of the computer, run, weight lift, school, longboard, sadly no instrument, slackline, backpack, ect. But everything but school is rather compressed and we all are using laptops all day at school so, only like 35% - 40% of my time is spent doing anything else.

Hmm including work and play I probably spend two thirds of my life in front of a keyboard...

AFK I spend time in the gym, playing basketball, watching sports, etc. never been the musical type though.

When I'm away from the keyboard, I usually make myself some coffee, of if I have to wait for a big download, I just fall asleep on my bed (right next to the PC). I frequently get up to stretch my legs, lift some weights, etc.
That's a rare occasion though.

For the past 9 months or so I've been riding bicycles a fair amount. Ride a mountain bike, but mostly on paved :/ Although in the last 2 weeks I've found some offroad trails around here I can ride and have been doing that.

Anyone else ride?

Road bike, mountain, or hybrid?

I bought my bike back in 2002, and it didn't get many miles put on it until last fall. I didn't ride too much during the winter, but since I've started riding again (including last fall) I've ridden 686.7 miles (actually further, forgot my GPS watch a couple times).

I purchased a NEXT 26" Ladies' Power Climber Bike around 2004. I've kept it in good care, the chain is not even rusty after 8 years.

It's labeled as a ladies bike but honestly what is the difference? I personally like the color which I presume is the only difference in the bikes. Mens womens who cares? I wish we would get out of this mindset. If its not specifically created to meet ones gender it should not be labeled as such.

Walking. Not as much as I should,but in the past year I've gone from 320 lbs down to 280 lbs.
Hoping to get down to 250 lbs or less this summer.
No,I don't believe in giving to jenny craig,WW,or any other phony weight loss program.Lotsa veggies to although I'm not a vegetarian.BTW,I started @ 355 lbs a couple years ago.:)

@lerninmypc - congrads on your loss. That is the primary reason I do anything, to look better. I'm not sure that has happened but I am down to dangerously close to 160 (I'm 5'7") and I would like to go into the 155 range. 160 is still in the 'overweight' range for someone my height. (although I would wager I can out lift most people my height/weight). But anyway, I like to ride and much less like to run, but I still like both. Biking is a lot of fun though.

I too am a musician when not computering - not really AFK as I mainly play keyboards! (plus a little guitar for a break).
Don't recognise the quote - Homer Simpson? Groucho Marx?

@SNGX1275, I'm 5'9" tall & started out at around 165 lbs. I'm not going to try to get back down to 165, just
copying Drew Carey so I can get off my diabetic meds.:)

@lerninmypc - congrads on your loss. That is the primary reason I do anything, to look better. I'm not sure that has happened but I am down to dangerously close to 160 (I'm 5'7") and I would like to go into the 155 range. 160 is still in the 'overweight' range for someone my height. (although I would wager I can out lift most people my height/weight). But anyway, I like to ride and much less like to run, but I still like both. Biking is a lot of fun though.

Wouldn't worry too much about 5lbs, you can probably lose that much by not drinking any water for a day. I think fitness and general health is a lot more important than weight. Also muscle is denser than fat so people generally gain weight when they do weight training. Many elite athletes are technically overweight/obese.

@ cliffordcooley

That bike is indeed identical to the mans version, Though in the past ladies bikes had a lower crossbar to save reavealing too much when ladies got on :)

The granite peak models illustrate this.

When I'm not at work, and am away from my PC, then I'm out for a run. I run every day. When the weather is bad, I take to the treadmill or go to the gym. I love running outdoors, though, especially in the early morning. Once you get into the habit of it, then it's impossible to let go. Running becomes almost an addiction.

Like bobcat, I play guitar. I love blues guitar and have been trying to learn it since I was a little kid. I play a minimum two hours daily -- often late at night with the headphones, my Marshall, and some backing tracks or a metronome. I'm a million miles away from my PC when I'm alone with my Fender Stratocaster.

Does the piano count as a keyboard? :D

Back