What do you mean by "NTLDR Missing"?

By Vipin
Dec 26, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Dear friends,
    What do you mean by "NTLDR Missing"???
    I get this message at the time I start my PC.
    Below this message, there is a message saying:"Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart"
    I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, and the computer restarts.
    I still did not understand the meaning of the statement: "NTLDR Missing"???
  2. Pan Wah

Pan Wah TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 134   +27

It means that one of the files needed to boot is missing or corrupted - you can repair this using an install/recovery disk for your operating system.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,287   +281

NTLDR an acronym:- NT LoaDeR. This is the component that LOADS the kernel into memory.
  4. Vipin

Vipin Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

So what should I do further???
    Is this of any kind of serious issue.
    How to rectify it???
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

Well, if the machine won't boot, wouldn't you consider that serious?

The easiest thing to do, is as Pan Wah suggests, do a repair install of Windows. Put the Windows disc into the DVD drive, shut down the machine, reboot, and follows the prompts to "repair Windows".

This is an old thread, but some info is still relevant, have a look: http://www.techspot.com/community/t...-if-you-are-unable-to-boot-into-windows.8356/
  6. Benmar

Benmar Newcomer, in training Posts: 53

Ntldr missing is something to do with .dll is missing...you can repair it by using it's windows operating system cd.
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,769   +1,428

Benmar, this thread is nearly a year old.
  8. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,400   +832

OK Junior, while your enthusiasm is much appreciated, what you're doing here is, "digging up bones".

Anyway, welcome to Techspot, but make sure you start checking the dates on these threads.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.