What does a Micro Switch Do?

By 1bellb
Jul 2, 2008
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have just baught a computer case and it have a Micro Switch at each side of the doors and when you open the door it click and when you close the door it click, so my question is what does this do when you open and close the door, I have connected it to anything yet because I dont know what it does.
    Thanks
  2. CCT

CCT Newcomer, in training Posts: 3,556

You can hook those up in many cases to flag case intrusion or lockdown the comp or set off an alarm or whatever.
  3. 1bellb

1bellb Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 107

Ow, cool, so do you just plug it into your motherboard and program in on the computer or do you have to do it in BIOS
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 18,353

Motherboard connector and CMOS Setup to Enabled
    Dell use the chasis detection on many of their models
    But your motherboard may not have this option.
    You will need to download your motherboard manual to confirm if it exists.
  5. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,380   +825

Intel's the Culprit......

Intel boards have a lot of intrusion prevention measures. I think they're calling it "trusted platform module", (or similar).
  6. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,673   +152

You can't power up the system with either of the case sides open if these micro-switches are enabled. Most modern motherboards (bios) do not have this feature
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.