TechSpot

What does this mean?

By StefanG
Jul 21, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Windows cannot access this because you do not have the administrative access C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\1024\WmiPrvSE.exe? But, I do have access, and have never seen this happening before.

2. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,064   +919

Right click the file you want to use and click, "Run as administrator".

3. StefanG

StefanG TS Rookie Topic Starter

A dialogue box pops up after start-up, my guess is that's it's a background app trying to load up. However, I have no idea what the app is.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,474   +329

WMI:-- Windows Management Instrumention. It is a SERVICE and should be auto started. Most of it resides in \windows\system32\wmi* and that causes concern as to why you have something in your %userprofile% area - - On Win/7 SP1/Pro I have none such.

5. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,398   +169

I second jobeard's advice. It looks like malware. Either an active infection or perhaps a leftover piece when your A/V tried to remove an infection. For Win 7 the legit copy of that file is in C:\Windows\System32\wbem. See if the file also exists there. That's the legit file

6. StefanG

Hmmm...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  7. StefanG

And yes, that particular file is also in that location.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.