What Ever Happened to Hotmail?

I remember attending a resume workshop recently wherein the presenter said if you use "hotmail" on your resume then the employer will probably toss your resume in the garbage...who the hell wants to hire someone with an email from the 1990s?! Made sense... the tech aware use Gmail.

I remember attending a resume workshop recently wherein the presenter said if you use "hotmail" on your resume then the employer will probably toss your resume in the garbage...who the hell wants to hire someone with an email from the 1990s?! Made sense... the tech aware use Gmail.
I think that company may be masking age discrimination... anyway, I'm mostly a live.com user which is also under Microsoft.

Haha, true. I have liked a few of your comments. But of course, the context of the article is about the history of Hotmail, the ups and downs and the transition away from "Hotmail" to become Outlook.

Still using mine I now have a Gmail account (only for my phone, and if I need to apply for a job.)

Did they switch over all new addresses to "@Outlook.com?"

I've used hotmail since it came along. Yeah, I log into outlook.com, but I still use my hotmail address. ANYTHING I order online, any site I sign up for, log into, gets the hotmail address. Cuts the spam down on my other addresses.

I converted my Hotmail accounts to Live, and then to Outlook. I've had a few accounts end up in internet heaven.

I still use my hotmail account from when I signed up in 1998, when 56K modems were the blazing fastest internet connection. Good memories!
56K?! You were lucky! When I were a kid, we 'ad nowt but a damp pair of grandad's old shoelaces for a connection and a 110 baud modem made from a discarded old egg carton.

The visual layout of Hotmail is terrible. It's a nightmare to manage spam there - and you will get global spam from all over the world.

I hate the visual layout of Gmail, only a little less than Hotmail. My favorite is actually Yahoo.

I mean, I have a Gmail account, and am no Microsoft fan. But trashing a resume based on e-mail address? Wow. How lazy are these HR people that they can't be bothered to at least glance at a 1-3 page document, when it's literally a main part of their job to do so? To be honest, working for companies with dysfunctional HR departments can be hell so it might be just as well letting them bin one's resume.

Back