What games do you think this PC could run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into buying an hp pavilion m8300f desktop pc. The specs are:
Windows Vista
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ (3.0 ghz)
3072mb ram
Nvidia GeForce 6150 se (I know that this is a crappy card, but I plan on upgrading to at least an 8600 gt)

Will this pc run css, tf2, and cod 4 well? What other kinds of games do you think would run well?

Counter strike source i have no idea, cod 4 probably not too well...

You could try starcraft :) i love that game, the system requirments are so low lol.

EDIT: if your going to upgrade you gpu, you might as well build your own comp. It will turn out cheeper.

Oh right, did i mention the 8800GT could probably triple your gpu's power? (compared to an 8600)

Yes, and that computer will run COD 4 with everything turned down. My friends computer runs call of duty 4 bit choppy with a Geforce 4 MX.

Yes, and that computer will run COD 4 with everything turned down.

Yeah it will run but don't expect any high framerates and you do have to turn it down.

"What computer does this game need to run this game ?"

Well yes... but for the most part they just tell you (as far as i know however the last game box i looked at was...a long time ago) the amount of video memory. Video memory doesn't mean faster, it means just that, more memory. Ive seen $20 512mb video cards and im pretty sure they cant run all that much.

I've got a laptop with an x700 and that runs COD4 on 1024x768 on medium-high just fine. I'm not sure where the 6150 stands but... yeah, you might want to get a better card.

Word of advice is skip the 8600 GT to go to a 9600 GT or either wait out till mid year for ATi's HD4xxx which should be good and also nVidia's 9900 series.

What you can run at the moment is quite a few games. HL2 or rather Source based games will run fine, just don't push them up to insane levels of detail as well as resolution.

Also, in most cases more memory to a video card wouldn't matter much, it depends on the situation. For example you'd see a difference between a 256mb 8800 GT and a 512mb 8800 GT where as a 512mb 8800 GT and a 1gb 8800 GT has marginal difference. I suggest only getting what you need atm, as even when 1gb becomes a standard in the future, most likely the whole card will be outdated with more new technologies coming out and also possibly better used of the GDDR3/4/5 memory hence better performance :)

yeah what he said basicly what hamsteyr said...

Instead of buying an 8600, go use a g92 chip (all 8800 and 9xxx cards) for just a tinny little bit more money or use a radeon.

the 9600GT is about $140 and $115-$120 after mail in rebate.
The 8800 prices are droping too. The 256 version (not so good) is actually the same price as an 8600. 512 is about $30 more, Evga's comes with a $30 mail in rebate.

So does he respond?!!?

Best video

You need a PCIx card.I have ATI x1650 and an LCD monitor with DVI-D with HDCP
Make sure the Motherboard and Video card have the right matching PCIx slot.
Theres 1,2 and 16.Mine is 16 and great graphics.
:D

doesn't really matter that he doesn't have PCI-E x16 really... the card would just throttle down a bit and from benchmarks there's not really much difference between PCI-E x8 and x16 atm though there is some in a few selected titles.

But yeah, i advice on building your own system.

Wait but some PCIx16 slots says "White at x8 mode and purple at x4 mode.

Doesn't x16 refer to the type of socket?

Besides with a 6150, he might just have an AGP slot lol.
That is...IF HE ANSWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

hmmm i always thought it was bus speed first before anything else, though you might be right now that i think about it.

Well, in any other case, its impossible that he doesn't have either, and my guess is that he has a PCI-E. Chances are with an X2 board and 6150 probably onboard, it'd be a PCI-E i'd say.

Yes it is pretty impossible. The manufacture don't really tell you anything about the mobo.........

BUT i just got my new foxcon board, It supposedly has ONE pci-e x16 so let me look.
Its here if you want to look:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186140

Wish i knew were my cable was for my camera, i would just load up a photo.

Oh right the photo veiwer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...n=Foxconn+M7PMX-S+Micro+ATX+Intel+Motherboard

Look at the third picture, the light yellow one is labled as the PCI x16, the small yellow one above it says PCI x1. The first one fits my 9600GT so... i gues the number behind the PCI-E denotes the amount of pins and directly effects the speed too.

However, i hear people says that they can transfer their x8 bandwith to a different slot...

haha PCI x1 doesn't fit graphics cards if i'm correct. And yes, i HAVE seen x8 slots before, infact, if you look up the MSI P7N SLi Platinum running the nForce 750i, you'll notice it has 3 PCI-E slots, but the top one is x16 where as the bottom two are x8s apparently... but you can't use all three at the same time which means no triple SLi, just a weird swapping out system for dual SLi. Really strange stuff.

Anyway, how're foxconn boards? i haven't touched anything apart from gigabyte and Abit because i tend to enjoy buying from manufacturers which i know have decent quality boards.... though i'm planning to extent to eVGA.

My apartment is having issues with newegg again. :X so much for the look.

Well, it's pretty good. Came in a nice pakaged box. Instructions in EVERY language...I just managed to put in the intel stock cooler withought breaking it :)
The board looks nice, i think its pretty good. I hear it has good oc options but being stuck in a tangled mess of wires, i can't tell you about it lol.

ur system looks pretty good so why not get a graphics card that can match its muscles? i would recommend a 8800GT for CoD4 =D

@hellokitty[hk]: Sounds pretty good o.o try overclocking it and tell me how it goes XD it might be a good board for me to consider in the future.

At the moment, i'm a rather unhappy man. I bought the Gigabyte EP35-DS3R and i didn't notice this till now (while inserting my CPU in which i got more than a few weeks after i bought the board), my cpu socket has a broken pin.

At first i thoguht that i was sleepy or something but when i looked closer i noticed that it WAS a broken pin! and i know i didn't cause it too because i went and took a look at photos of the board when i first bought it (i like to do that, take pictures of stuff that are new) and yes, it did exist even when i first got the board. Shocking.

I just hope that the computer shop that i bought it from will allow me to have an on the spot change for a new one if not i'll be a very unhappy man. What are the chances for the board to ship DOA anyway?

actually, i do agree with batigoal :) I find that the extra few more bucks justifies getting a 8800 GT instead of a 8600 GT or 9600 GT. At the moment thats the only thing i can recommend apart from the 9800 GTX, but if you're out to get that you might as well wait that possible few more weeks for the HD 4xxx and 99xx :)

Oh right got my foxconn board up and running. I think that it is actually pretty good. It did however had this glitch or something that would cause it to not boot if i set the fsb and ram to "linked". I
t has a nice utility that lets you change the BIOS in OS.
It was packaged well and looks prett nice. It says it supports DDR2 800 and 1066 OC but it lets me go up to 1400! I have no idea if this is normal but its cool :)
The highest ram voltage settings are 2.2 and default whatever that might be.
But the CPU voltage goes up to 3.7?!!?!
It lets you change the foxconn logo during startup to whatever you want (it hink havn't tried it yet.)

EDIT: LOL got an email about you posting when i was typing.

(i like to do that, take pictures of stuff that are new
LOL i did that too :)

Smooth OC for the cpu and Ram (apart from the 2.2 volts bs but i think the default is 2.3 so its ok :))
I have my ram running at 5-4-4-9! even at 1000mhz.
I can clock my E4600 to 3.0 ghz with the stock cooler and be just under 60 degrees.
The mobo stays nice and cool and actually has amazing features for just $60! Nice northbridge heat spreader.
The driver CD is one of the few that are actually usefull!! Very nice pretty (maybe even overdone) graphics and visual effects for the driver CD. really easy to work with. Comes with a CMOS reset jumper built in and easy to access. Nice sound for integrated i guess. I can hear voices echo in halo! lol

I didn't know foxconn was this good lol, i had my doubts buying this but not as much as my little 380 watt psu.

I find that the extra few more bucks justifies getting a 8800 GT instead of a 8600 GT or 9600 GT.
Definitly. Don't buy an 8600 or lower.
I think that nVidea should have named the 8800 series chips all 9xxx series and combine it with the 9000 cards.
Do you guys know how good the 9900 will be? I hope it can run crysis with all maxed including AA and stuff.

... the hell? CPU voltage to 3.7??????!!?!! THATS NOT NORMAL! Even a Q6600 has around 1.37-ish! are you sure you got that right? coz i'm pretty sure you should have a really fried CPU right about now... and you oc-ed your ram from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1400???? Man, you either have some f**ked up cooling system or .. welll i don't know. thats messed up.

It does run a 630i chipset though. Doesn't that mean you can't slap on the newer 45nm chips? so far i love P35 chipset boards and i've never touched nforce chipsets all my life o.o though i might try the 750i.

no! i didn't even change the cpu voltage! im just saying its really weird that i can push it to 3.7!
well my ram is actually 1150 default but i COULD clock it to 1400...it think. with really high timings maybe... i bet i could probably push it to 1200 easily with stock timings

Actually it has a shiny supports 45nm chips! sticker on it so i think it can :)

the 750i looks cool. But the only one ive seen is that one time i went to evga.com and the "750i FTW board!" add came up. it looks cool lol

i think we should have an IM section or somehting

... the hell? CPU voltage to 3.7??????!!?!! THATS NOT NORMAL! Even a Q6600 has around 1.37-ish! are you sure you got that right? coz i'm pretty sure you should have a really fried CPU right about now... and you oc-ed your ram from DDR2 800 to DDR2 1400???? Man, you either have some f**ked up cooling system or .. welll i don't know. thats messed up.

lol i wish i could do that and not have anything melt :)
ive seen my friends laptop melt LOL!

damn... what software did you use to measure the voltage of your chip? what chip are you running anyway? Your ram is DDR2 1150 default? I don't think you should try to clock them so much further lol... i have managed to clock my DDR2 800 to 1150 before but that wasn't much, i clocked my E6550 from 2.33 to 3.22 as well on stock cooling XD

Be wary about support for 45nm chips. i've been reading around about it and my friend owns one, when he tried sticking a 45nm E8400 into his board, the computer wouldn't boot and it still won't. He's using an ASUS nForce 650i board and it did mention that they have 45nm support for it but it required a bios update which didn't help anything apart from crash the entire computer.

Also with some manufacturers and non-native support for 45nm processors, it'd be good to read in the extra detail because i heard that they support the dual core editions but not the quad core 45nms which came as a surprise..

Yeah, that was the board which i was interested in, the eVGA 750i FTW edition xD it looks like a really good board so if i were to switch to SLi i'd definitely look at that board first... but the launch of HD 4xxx is in a matter or days/weeks so... not likely. I'm expecting them to be show stoppers that can play on par with nVidia :)

An IM session would be fun but the internet at my place is currently down and i'm at uni at the moment leeching off their internets xD i'll PM you my IM regardless :)

lol how the hell did you get your friend's laptop to melt? as far as i'm concerned you can't even touch voltage settings in laptops neither can you play around with CPU clocks.

my internet is dying too. I have comcast.

anyway i use cpu-z, core temp, and prime 95 for stuff like that. Also ATI tool and Riva tuner.

lol how the hell did you get your friend's laptop to melt? as far as i'm concerned you can't even touch voltage settings in laptops neither can you play around with CPU clocks.

nothing was done to it i dont think, he was playing oblivion too long apparently.

EDIT oh what chip am i running? E4600 x12 mult and 800FSB stock 2.4, 65nm

lol and i have to go for Data Net Centric classes now xD

And strange coz i use the same programs... but all i know is that 3.7 is nowhere near safe temps...

I play oblivion for an extended time on my laptop too but its never cooked off :p thats what you get for getting crappy laptops? XD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back