What graphics card should I get? Recommendations?

By ttgavenged
Feb 19, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. So all I really want to know is how do I know what graphics card will function correctly with my computer,,, right now I have integrated Rad. 6550D for gaming and tbh i hate it. Here are my specs and the computer i have.

Quad core AMD A8-3800 (each is 2.4GHz, rated at 5.40GHz!)
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    Genuine Win 7 Home Premium
    AMD Radeon HD 6550D

And the computer I have is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...2_usens-001&lang=en&lc=en&product=5157018#N77
    Mine is the 1147c...

QUESTION:So I get about 7-12 FPS in games like CoD:BO, GTA, etc. Would getting a new grahpics card do the trick, and would you be so awesome to get me a suggestion? Will be buying in 2-4months, so can be 200-400 as it will drop i hope, right?

Question 2: Is AGP or PCI better, does my computer support it, and is there maybe even something better than both?

To save you some time: Here is some of the info HP releases for video graphics, I'm not sure if this will help you but... *Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.
    Radeon HD 6370D, 6410D, 6530D or 6550D Graphics (model dependent based on processor)
    Supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards
    Two DVI-D ports (Both ports can be used at the same time)
  2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,818   +1,431

You would probably want a 6800 (at least 6700) series card if AMD is what you prefer.

If nVidia is your preference then the 570 (at least 550) is where you would want to be.

If you are not aware a new generation will soon be out. That means in 2 or 3 months, you will have a whole new selection of cards to choose from.

If you do choose a card, please make sure your power supply is rated to carry the graphics power requirements.
  3. ttgavenged

ttgavenged Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 23

I am sorry but I am only 14 therefore my knowledge is no where at it's peak, how could I check/verify this? :facepalm:
  4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,818   +1,431

If you look inside the case, there should be a sticker on the side of the power supply. The sticker will give you the power ratings of the power supply. The rating could be 200W or as high as 1200W. Although I highly doubt the rating will be over 500W.

Depending on the graphics adapter you choose, you may only need a 300W. But if you choose a more powerful graphics adapter than you currently have you will need at least a 450W. We would need to know which graphics adapter and how many you are planning to run before we could give advice as to what size power supply you need.
  5. slh28

slh28 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,925   +170

Given your machine is a prebuilt, it's pretty certain that you will need to upgrade your power supply.

To play Black Ops and GTA a Radeon 6870 should be ok, they're pretty cheap nowadays.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.